Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD Burner

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Sk0rch...

If I might stick my nose in for a minute...what all have you done by way of trying to get the original optical drive to work? Have you run any scripts like cd_gone or changed any registry keys?

Have you removed it from Device Manager and had Windows "reinstall" it on reboot?

wannabe1

Advertisements

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
How do I know if those are compatible with my PC? How come all three are different prices, is there any diffrence besides color? Is installation easy?

Is there ones any cheaper? Can you show me more deals.

Thanks a lot.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If the cd does not work, some basic troubleshooting is suggested before you just change it out. Does the drive show up in "my computer" ? Does the drive show up in device manager (start, my computer, right click properties, hardware, device manager)? Is there a yellow ! next to it in device manager?

If the cd drive does not appear in "my computer", try the cd gone patch available at:
http://www.geekstogo...pport-f113.html
If the drive does show up, back to my question above about the yellow! in device manager. Try updating the driver.

And finally, does the device have power? If you put a cd in it does the light flash? Have you tried cleaning the optical lens?

If you have done all of these and it has died, by all means replace it. Any EIDE cd/dvd of your choice will do.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Hi Sk0rch...

If I might stick my nose in for a minute...what all have you done by way of trying to get the original optical drive to work? Have you run any scripts like cd_gone or changed any registry keys?

Have you removed it from Device Manager and had Windows "reinstall" it on reboot?

wannabe1

Whoops, didn't know there was a 2nd page sorry. Well CD's dont play on that drive so I know it is broken. I don't know what a "cd_gone" is. No I haven't done the 2nd part either. Can you help me? Thanks.

If the cd does not work, some basic troubleshooting is suggested before you just change it out. Does the drive show up in "my computer" ? Does the drive show up in device manager (start, my computer, right click properties, hardware, device manager)? Is there a yellow ! next to it in device manager?

If the cd drive does not appear in "my computer", try the cd gone patch available at:
http://www.geekstogo...pport-f113.html
If the drive does show up, back to my question above about the yellow! in device manager. Try updating the driver.

And finally, does the device have power? If you put a cd in it does the light flash? Have you tried cleaning the optical lens?

If you have done all of these and it has died, by all means replace it. Any EIDE cd/dvd of your choice will do.

Yes the driver does show in my computer and devicer manager. No there is no yellow !. How do I update the driver?

I do not know where the lens is, so no I have not tried cleaning it. I do not understand your other question, "if you put a cd in it does the light flash?" What light?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Since the drive shows up in "my computer" it is not likely that the cd gone patch will be needed (it isn't gone!). Since there is no yellow ! in device manager, not likely that the driver needs to be updated. Try cleaning the optical lens. The easiest way to do this is to purchase a cd/dvd cleaner disk from your local electronics store. You can even get this at Walmart. It is a cd that has brushes on one side which clean the lens, costs around $10.00. If that doesn't do it replace the drive. Many drives have an idicator light on the front that shows drive activity, like reading a disk. These will often flash during boot up. Sounds more and more to me like the drive died.

With your $20.00 Walmart gift certificate, the $10.00 you would spend on a cleaing disk along with a few more dollars would probably buy a new cd/dvd drive. Yes, Walmart sells them.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Let's try a basic repair procedure to make sure the failure isn't an operating system problem rather than a true hardware failure. Just because the drive won't read CDs doesn't necessarily mean that the hardware has failed.

Download and run this little repair utility then restart and see whether the drive will then read. This EXE file performs the same function as the CDGone registry repair script.

If this doesn't work maybe the cuase is a dirty lens. Try buying an inexpensive lens cleaner from Walmart, Radio Shack or the such.

If neither of these procedures work then it's time to buy a new drive. A tutorial on replacing an optical drive is found here. Note the date of this artical (2003) and the price of a DVD writer back the ($320). Now they go for $40 and are many times faster.

Edited by WinCrazy, 09 June 2006 - 09:39 AM.