Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply

Ange|

Ange|

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm looking for a notebook for uni- mainly to be used for browsing internet, word docs, powerpoints, spreadsheets; and entertainment: music, movies and digital photos (including photoshop). I'd have to bring it to uni twice a week, so it a lightweight notebook is preferable. Which notebook would be suitable for me? Thanks in advance.

Amy (posting under Angel's account for convenience)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It depends on your budget, you can get a laptop for as little as £500 these days but it wont be phenomenal performer(although i saw a decent priced one earlier today that wast to bad). But you can get them as much as £1500-2000 that would suit your needs as well so budget is all important.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
From the first half of that post I would suggest a Dell because my dad's laptops are all Dell and they run common apps like that with incredible ease.

For the PS side, you may just need to beef the RAM up in a Dell or something. Most powerful laptops are not lightweight (or none that I've seen) so you have to decide:
-Budget
-Which of those is more important (graphics/apps)?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you get two more divisions in laptops desktop replacement and mobile. What you appear to need is mobile which would mean you would select a certain kind of laptop usually low power versions they arent as fast but get the job done and have better battery life as well as lower weight.

I dont think you would need a desktop replacement as apart from photoshop you have nothing that needs alot of power on your uses list, and even at that photoshop isnt bad and it doesnt need a hugely powerful gfx card.

I would automatically say dell, for example in that market IBM used to be alot better than dell who made larger laptops generally ibm sold out to a company called lenovo check them out.

Acer are also really good in that market especially for lightweight systems and they dont use intel integrated they use ati mobile which is alot better(dell use ati as well just not in all the systems). And you might even considered the dreaded apple(you can put windows on them yourself these days as well if you dont like osx).

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
It all depends what your budget is. If you want to go all the way with it go with a Dell XPS M1710 Limited although this laptop weighs a little under 8 pounds which I think is a bit to much. I have an Inspiron E1705 and it weighs under 6 1/2 pounds which is still a little high but it has top rate performance with the Core duo processor. If you want the ultimate lightweight laptop go with the Dell Inspiron 710M which weighs only 4.1 pounds and has a 12.1" widescreen display which is small and slim. It is also very customizable too. You can get a 100GB hard drive at 7200RPM with 1GB of memory at 677MHz. You can also get up to 1.7GHz with the Pentium M processor with a CD/DVD combo drive. It also comes with advanced wireless connection features. It is also said that this notebook can stay unplugged for 8 hours! :whistling:. If you want a combination of lightweight and performance, get the Dell E1505. It starts at $599. This laptop comes with the new Intel Core Duo processor. YOu can have a tv tuner and Windows MCE 2005. You can also get up to 2GB of memory at 533MHz and a 100GB hard drive at 7200RPM. YOu can also choose to get an awesome graphics card with an awesome sound card. This system also features advanced wireless technology. This system weighs 6.18 pounds.

Follow this link and you will be able to see it for yourself!
http://www1.us.dell....s=19&l=en&s=dhs

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Dell has a good series of consumer-grade and gaming laptops.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are going high end though i would be tempted to go alienware. The lower end alienwares are actually a good price.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Ya know, Dell bought Alienware earlier this year, but they have agreed that they will both keep their original names, but most of the system components in Alienware computers will now be made at Dell. Just to let you know, so technically Alienware is now Dell. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yup i know however since Dell dont make any of there own parts they wont be making any of alienwares either, dell purchases there parts from manufacturers in bulk same as every other builder except they have the nasty tendancy to use cheaper stuff or order boards with slight modifications to make upgrading more diffcicult so users have to buy whole new PCs.

Alienware will continue business as usuall getting there parts from the same places as they normally do as they are also customised but opposite to those of dell. Alienware are also keeping all there facilities, basically they have just come under the Dell unbrella nothing has really changed with the company itself or the hardware it produces which is still way ahead of dell, alienware over price but it isnt as bad as dell.

Dell make good laptops though because of there nature it doesnt matter if they use generic parts with poor upgradiability as laptops are like that by nature, if you want something sleaker you go alienware but if you dont mind looks dell is allright for laptops.

You might also consider a mac when they cheaper models come out they will be allright im not a fan of the OS or the styling but the hardware is the same as everyone else now they have switched to intel.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I read an article in PC magazine that Dell has better than average parts. Look at my system. Can you find this anywhere else? The article said that Dell is among the most reliable computer companies. I do know that some of the older models stick and fail a lot. That is why I waited until this computer came out. I also know that Alienware does have true high performance systems overall, but I think the XPS 600 Renegade kicked Alienware's butt when Dell built it. :whistling:

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Actually, the DELL XPS m1710 (i think will update when sure) blows all the competition out of the water. DELL's high ends aren't all low end parts, all you need to do is install a fresh copy of XP (bloatware). On another note, HOW CAN YOU AFFORD A RENEGADE?!??!

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I saved up all of my money to help pay for the Renegade. My uncle who works for microsoft helpd pay for a little more than half of it, $6,789.00. I payed for the other part. You see, when I really want something I go out and work my but off until I can afford it. In this case, I really wanted this computer, so I reserved one with Dell, worked my tail off, and paid for it. :blink: (But I am still paying off my Uncle, only $5,356 left! :whistling: )