Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to stop monitor detection?

• Please log in to reply

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I using CRT Eizo F520 monitor on GeForce 6800 GS. Usually Zeropoint drivers, but to get to the question - is there any way to stop windows from detecting if my monitor is on or off?

Apart from disabling Plug & play service - this does the trick, but also cause disfunctionality of my X-Fi sound card (and Creative soundcards/drivers in general as it did the same with other Creative cards...).

Why?
Because I used to start my machine at morning, so it fold for me, and when I come back home, I just start the monitor and continue working and folding or gaming :)
The problem is, that when the monitor is off when windows is booting, then after one enable it back again, windows detect it as "new" monitor and this cause all sort of troubles. From ignored settings (for the old monitor, they are logically ignored now...) to having many identical monitors... etc.

I'm all open to either software (drivers mod?) or hardware (cut some detection wires?) solution as well. In the VGA connector, there are the there wires for "monitor bits" and I think killing them (or disconnecting, if you prefer :blink: ) might do the trick, but I better ask if is there any way to kill this detection in software. Eg. in drivers.

This might even give a performance improve. Tough very little :whistling:

Any ideas, guys?

A DPMS off could be a elegant solution :help: 5min should be enought - remember, the monitor is covered and 10min is too much for nonventilating monitor - we better should not overheat him.
The problem with DPMS is simple, yet deadly. According to the manual, the monitor know four modes.

ON - normal display - green led - 80W.
STAND-BY - blank display - green led - 64W (80% or normal)
SUSPEND - blank display - flashing green led - less that 10W
OFF - blank display - yellow led - less that 3W

Obviously I need either SUSPEND of OFF mode, since the STAND-BY mode still comsume 80% of power, witch should easily overheat and eventually burn the covered monitor...

BUT - and there it come - when I set in widnows control pannel to off the monitor in say 2minutes (testing), it goes only the the STAND-BY mode, and as we know already, standby mode in NOT ENOUGHT. Even after more that 2min it did not enter the SUSPEND mode, so... And I need suspend at least. So, either how to stop the detection, of how to make the monitor goes by DPMS into suspend or off after 5min? I would still prefer more the no-detection thing, because some things is IMHO better to do by hand...

Advertisements

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
The question what I solved today is, if winblows accept no P&P monitor and the aswer is - YES!

Since even Scala does recommed hardware modification too (among other users):
http://www.scala.com...or-disable.html

...so I made it. I tested it first on my computer that my sis is using by simply desoldering the L filter on the GFX card, witch lead to the pin 15 on VGA. Worked flawlessly, tought the first time one pull on machine with modded monitor cable/gfx card like this, a new monitor driver install is need :)

But this is also a very good thing, becuase it answer me my worries, if I could ever install the monitor after killing the Plug&Pray for good! So, the answer is YES! Yes, I can. Great. :whistling:

So I made the same mod on my main machine, this time by removing the pin 15 into the VGA connector from my monitor (I don't want take down my watercooling block from my GFX card, so...) and it also need one monitor reinstall and then work flawlessly! :blink:

Hooray for hardware disabling of the super-annoying Plug&Pray thing! :help: