Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Audio Dpvsetup error

• Please log in to reply

alvinc77

alvinc77

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
This is the exact error I am encountering since downlaoding new SKYPE software

SYMPTOMS
In the Sound and Audio Devices tool in Control Panel, when you click Voice Test on the Voice tab, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Windows cannot execute DPVSetup.exe, use Add/Remove Programs control panel to install.

DirectPlay Voice has encountered an error.
Note: The second error message is followed by an error code.
CAUSE
This problem occurs because when you change the Audio Hardware Acceleration setting to None this removes the hardware-accelerated device from the list of possible devices. However, DSound continues to try and map to the device.
RESOLUTION
This problem generally occurs only the first time that you run the test. If this problem continues to occur after the first attempt, follow these steps: 1. In Control Panel, double-click Sounds and Audio Devices.
2. On the Voice tab, under Voice Playback, click Advanced.
3. On the Performance tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider at least one position to the right.

Since then I can no longer listen to any audio CD's and the system only makes very basic noises i.e not even the standard windows start up tune.

I have checked the sound and audio tab in the control panel which is now telling me there are no speakers available on my laptop.

The above remedy fails to work as there is no output for the Audio!?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, sounds, speech, change the sound scheme, left click any entry, click the arrow, what do you get?

alvinc77

alvinc77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for thequick reply, I am not at my computer at the moment. Should be on it at 6pm. Sorry

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you do not get anything with any of the system sounds, re-installing the soundcard software would be the next thing, you could uninstall the existing software, provided you have the installation source, CD or online, run tune up then re-install it

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

alvinc77

alvinc77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I Have tried to change the sound scheme to Windows default, Default and there is no change to the audio output options. Whent the mic is plugged in the output is through the speakers or through the headphone if connected (as expected)

Under the volume and speaker settings, the voulme still states, no audio device is available?????

I Have the driver, if I need to reload it

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Uninstall it, run tune up, re-install it

alvinc77

alvinc77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It's now rebooted and reverted to an intel Audio controller from 97. I haven't reinstalled the driver, It has given me more options for the audio though. shoul I try and reinstall the driver? Are there any other changes I should make to the Audio settings.

It still doesn;t have the speakers as an output

alvinc77

alvinc77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, I uninstalled the driver. Ran the scan and then tried to reload the driver. Now the system beeps and says Driver was not installed. (Three times)

On top of this there is no sign of the intel audio file or the Yamaha Audio

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Can you post motherboard make and model, chipset and what it has for multimedia / audio adapter

alvinc77

alvinc77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Toshiba Satellite 2410
Chipeset
Intel Brookdale i845mp
Mobile pentium 4m 2Ghz

Edited by alvinc77, 09 May 2006 - 02:44 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What does it have for multimedia / audio adapter

Also the S number after 2400 -

alvinc77

alvinc77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Intel 82801cam ICH3-M - AC'97 Audio Controller [B1]
No s number

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for the Yamaha Driver

http://www.csd.toshi...gngdgnn.0&ct=DL

alvinc77

alvinc77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Together with a friend of mine we have uninstalled all files/programs that were installed immediately prior to encountering this problem (ie Skype, Creative Webcam, MS Messenger 7.5. We then rebooted the system and reinstalled the Sound drivers from the original system disk, however there was still no audio device detected in the Sound/Device section of the control panel. IN trying to run Real Player or MS Media PLayer, we continually receive the error message:"Windows cannot execute DpvSetup.exe, use Add/Remove Programs controlpanel to install." The dpvsetup files appear to be located int eh Service Pack Uninstall folder and appear with a blue icon with a yellow cross. This information is new and inaddition to my previous enquires. Do we need to locate and reload the dvpsetup.exe file from the internet or another source in order to get our speakers running again?
Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would ask the manufacturer of the machine for the correct file