Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fixing in new RAMs

• Please log in to reply

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Hi there, I'd like to ask if is there anything we need to do other than pluging in the new RAMs? Other things like, installing or changing the settings?

I have just got this guy to fix in the RAMs I paid him to buy today. Everything went fine for about 5 minutes after he fixed it in. So I shut down the computer and went out for my tuition. I have just returned home and was using the newly RAM upgraded desktop for around 7 - 10 minutes when suddenly it just made a *CLICK* sound and the screen went black. I checked the CPU and it was switched off as well. Now everytime I switch it on, it'll *CLICK* back and switched off. I have no idea what is going on. Please assist me in my problem.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Jay

P.s: I'd like to send out my apologies for not being at GeekUni when I was in to all fellow GeekUni members and GeekTeachers. :whistling: Please do me a gracious favour of posting my apology in the GeekUni forum. Thank you!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
take out the new ram and put the old ram back in and see if you can start the computer up...it sounds like something is wrong internally with the hardware...also double check that all internal cards are seated correctly

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Now I have problems viewing topics in my laptop. >.< Just not my day, or rather, my week? I had to view your profile up, and search for your posts. Then enter through there.

Anyway, I have removed the two new RAMs that guy added and replaced it with the old one. Now it started up and I'm able to see the screen. Until after 5 seconds. *CLICK* the screen went black and the CPU is switched off. What's the reason for this huh?

I will double check whether the cards are seated correctly. But for the mean time, I do not know what to do next. =\

Regards,
Jay

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...generally and audible click is not a good thing...are you sure the ram that you got this guy to install was compatible with your motherboard? there is a possibility that something is very wrong with the computer....look for any bulging or busted capacitors on the motherboard...also try to start in safe mode and see if it stays up longer..

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
I am not certain about the compatibility. My mother-board is by MSI. Any ways to check for compatibility?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...what's the model number on the board...and the specs on the ram

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Hi there,

The 'Computer Guy' came to my house and checked my computer. Thank God all the files are still there.

He told me that I have a 'power problem'. My computer wasn't receiving enough power to supply to it's need with the new RAMs installed. That's why the *CLICK* always happen.

Thanks for your help. Please help me in my other enquiry here.

Regards,
Jay