Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to overclock

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
From a quick glance it seems to have the ability to alter your FSB but doesnt have access to other settings so very basic, overclocking should as a rule always be done in bios where you have full control of the motherboard and components, memory is more often than not the bottleneck to overclocking in most systems.

Advertisements

psychocheesemaster

psychocheesemaster

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Freakin' awesome guide man, now I know what the talk is about :whistling:

Thx much,
Cheese

pers

pers

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
basic spelled ----> basically

The Mysterious

The Mysterious

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, i'm new! Uhh...

I find this guide a bit confusing...

So, my system is like:
Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP 2100+, ~1.7Ghz
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (PCI-1)
Memory: 512 RAM

And i want to overclock it to pass World of Warcraft (with default or max. settings):

Recommended Specifications

Windows® System 2000/XP OS:

* Intel Pentium® IV 1.5 GHz or AMD XP 1500+ MHz
* 1024 MB RAM
* 64 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX 5700 class card or above

Is there any way to improve my computer to pass the recommended requirements with it's default/max. settings,
by overcloking it? Will my computer remain stable? Please... i require a step-by-step guide (possibly with images of each phase)... Yes, i', newbie and too simple-minded... yet. Can anyone of you honored pros, help me? Need reply ASAP!

The Mysterious

The Mysterious

• Pip
  • 2 posts
On the other side: What will be the right choice of similiar graphics card?

vistageek428

vistageek428

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys,

I want to OC my stuff... My mobo doesn't support oc'ing, so I've decided to use software. I found one, but I'm not sure how high I can push it. Here is a screenshot. How fast can I make my CPU? It automatically adjusts everything else to fit that setting. When I make the change, I'll post another screenshot to make sure everything else is okay...

(The top bar controls everything but PCIE and the bottom bar, obviously, controls PCIE. What should I set everything to?)

Thanks a lot,
vistageek428

Attached Thumbnails

• oc.png

Edited by vistageek428, 30 August 2007 - 02:06 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there vistageek428 - and anyone else wanting specific information.

To get personalised help for your machine, please start a new thread in the Hardware section, System Building and Upgrading (where this sticky is located).

Try to give as much information about your computer as you can (hardware make/model, OS, software programs used) and exactly what you're trying to do. For example, don't write "My motherboard doesn't support overclocking", write "My motherboard is a insert make/model here". A good place to start if you don't know what components are in your system is to download Everest Home edition or Belarc advisor.

Cheers :whistling:

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Very helpful, thank you.

DarkGuard

DarkGuard

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey there.

Nice post, helps alot. But i am unable to overcloack my ram so it can work properly at 800Mhz.
i have a major problem and need help, if someone can help i ll appreciate it. I have an AMD 64x2 5600+ processor with a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 motherboard, 2 Rams of 1024 at 800 Mhz and a gigabyte nvidia geforce 7600GT 256MB.
So here is my problem. My motherboard supports 1.8v at the DDR2 slots but my rams (KHX6400D2/1G HyperX) needs 2v to work properly at 800Mhz. I already tried to overvoltage the ram but it still running at 667Mhz and my motherboard supports 800Mhz Rams. There is no option to set the voltage to 2v but there is an option to add 0.2v on the DDR2 slots so if my motherboard gives 1.8v and i add 0.2v more i have 2v total. But still my Rams work at 667. Is there anyone that can help?

Thanks in advance,
John

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

To get personalised help for your machine, please start a new thread in the Hardware section, System Building and Upgrading (where this sticky is located).

Try to give as much information about your computer as you can (hardware make/model, OS, software programs used) and exactly what you're trying to do. For example, don't write "My motherboard doesn't support overclocking", write "My motherboard is a insert make/model here". A good place to start if you don't know what components are in your system is to download Everest Home edition or Belarc advisor.

Cheers :)

Advertisements

Xanatos

Xanatos

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can you overclock with an ELITEGROUP 945GCT-M3 motherboard? I've been reviewing this article and wanted to do something similar. Another question I had was in regard to overclocking my memory. What would be the safest options(without buying new memory)?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Cheers :)

I really think this topic should be locked. And updated...

Huzz

Huzz

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
awesome topic...

cheers..

very helpfull

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

On some CPUs, such as the Intel processors since 1998, the multiplier is locked and cannot be changed. On others, such as the AMD Athlon 64 processors, the multiplier is "top locked", which means that you can change the multiplier to a lower number but cannot raise it higher than it was originally. On other CPUs, the multiplier is completely unlocked, meaning you can change it to any number that you wish. This type of CPU is an overclockers dream, since you can overclock the CPU simply by raising the multiplier, but is very uncommon nowadays.

Maybe I didn't read the whole post correctly, but does this mean I can't overclock my P4 2.8GHz? :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Depending on the motherboard you have (some motherboards don't allow overclocking at all), you should be able to overclock by adjusting the FSB.

Cheers

Troy