Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get passed the enter password login

• Please log in to reply

Calicoe

Calicoe

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I was installing a microsoft cordless key board and mouse and the PC locked up ( possibly due to a virus ) When I rebooted I got as far as the Windows login screen and since there is no password I just have to hit OK, but at that point the keyboard and mouse go dead.
Is there a way to bypass the login screen?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried booting into safe mode? (press f8 during boot then choose safe mode)...is the situation the same?

Calicoe

Calicoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, the same thing happens. I get to the windows login and the mouse and keyboard just die. There is no password so all I have to do is hit OK and I'd be in. I just can't do it.
I have the feeling that my best option is format and reinstall.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have an actual XP disk or just recovery disks?

Calicoe

Calicoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, I have the original XP disk and a third party ERD.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP