Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BATTERY FAILURE

• Please log in to reply

Hildargo

Hildargo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Please could any body help me, I have a Packard Bell i power laptop and when I come to use it on battery only even though it states I have a fully charged battery it turns the compter off entirely losing any work I was working on. Is there any way I could have the battery checked or does it seem to be another more sinister problem. Thanks for any info but I am a complete novice and would really appreciate any advice.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It could be another problem, but if the battery is older then most likely it is the battery. I am not sure if battery places can test the battery or if they will, but check to see if you have a place local to you. The type of place I am talking about specializes in battery, not just a general place. The way to test the battery is to measure the voltage and put a load on the battery. The hard part is knowing what load to put on it. Obviously the best load would be the computer, but that is harder to do and still measure the voltage.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
yeah, checking for voltage and ohms would be the best thing to do, but tricky seeing that most batteries have multiple pins and you would need to figure out which pins are plainly outputing the positive and negative voltages.