Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Update Problems

• Please log in to reply

grileyards

grileyards

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, ive just turned my pc on and found it has done an automatic update and now says my version of xp pro is an illegal copy. the pc is an old one that was upgraded from millenium, it was wiped and xp pro installed, i havent had this problem before and was wondering what to do to get rid of the warning messages?

does anyone know how i can return the pc to a previous date to get rid of this?

or alternatively i have a brand new copy of xp home, can i put this cd in and update it from xp pro without loosing my data?

any help or hints would be appreciated.

many thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you cannot downgrade from xp pro to xp home without doing a full format which would remove all your data and programs...where did the copy of xp that's on the computer come from?

www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx
go there and tell me what it says