Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE / SATA / Dual-boot issues XP/2K

• Please log in to reply

SkinkenDK

SkinkenDK

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello there.

Cutting to the chase:

I recently connected a brand new WD Raptor 36.7gb drive, to SATA1 (as the only SATA device in my machine) on my MB. I also have 2 IDE drives installed on IDE0, Master and slave.

I proceeded to install XP MCE on the SATA disk, keeping the 2K installation on the IDE disk intact.

In the transition from DOS install-styling to GUI in the XP install, I got the to ol' trusty "MISSING/CORRUPT hal.dll" error. I tried the usual bootcfg /rebuild, but it did not have the decired effect.

Here's my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operation systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT=Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Got any ideas? Thanks in advance from Denmark

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in the process of the install, did you hit the f6 key and install the additional drivers for the SATA controller?

Are there any drivers available? What kind of sata controller do you have?

SkinkenDK

SkinkenDK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

in the process of the install, did you hit the f6 key and install the additional drivers for the SATA controller?

Sorry for the delay!

1. No, I did not. It worked just fine without them during install...?

2. An on-board nVidia nForce4 SATA controller

...I'm still wondering about what's wrong, can't seem to make it work. I tried installing again, no luck.

Thanks in advance

Edited by SkinkenDK, 10 May 2006 - 01:40 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please list your motherboard make and model

your harddrive make and model

SkinkenDK

SkinkenDK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

MB: ASUS K8N4-E Deluxe
HD: WD Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://support.asus......K8N4-E DELUXE

read the instructions on the last page of your manual--it will explain how to make a driver disk and how to install windows

The above link will take you to the latest driver. You can download it and run the makedisk utility to create the driver disk as well

SkinkenDK

SkinkenDK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

http://support.asus......K8N4-E DELUXE

read the instructions on the last page of your manual--it will explain how to make a driver disk and how to install windows

The above link will take you to the latest driver. You can download it and run the makedisk utility to create the driver disk as well

I will look into it asap. It just baffles me that it could work during installation, and not on the dos/gui transition.

Will be back!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it did not actually "work" during installation--it just seemed to work