Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Incredibly slow system, Windows XP - can you help?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi folks

My PC is reasonably good spec: Dell, Pentium 4, 2.66GHz, 512MB RAM.

I virus check and spyware check regularly but it's running very slowly.

Unlike friends' (lower spec.) machines if you click the task bar to restore a window you can wait 10 seconds while the PC thinks a bit, then slowly redraws the window in sections.

It's driving me mad but I don't know where to start.

Can anyone help me? Should I post you a HiJackThis log? Let me know.

The only idea I have is that I'm running quite a few things in memory, but is that really the reason?
And if so, since most are anti-spyware guards etc, what can I switch off safely?

Any help very gratefully received.

Cheers, Matt :whistling:

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Other factors can affect the speed of Windows apart from the CPU and RAM.

Have you defragmented your system disk recently?

Also, in my opinion the only anti-spyware app you need is 'SpywareBlaster' (free from
http:// www.javacoolsoftware.com). keep updating it regularly. You don't need to have it open all the time, once you've applied all the protection it offers, close the program window and it will give you real-time protection. Uninstall any other real-time anti-spyware apps. SpywareBlaster has never let me down, and having more than one doing the same job is an unecessary drain on resources.

Antivirus - if you use NAV, this is a real drain on resources. The free 'Avast Home Edition' is much more system-friendly and just as effective - but also keep it up to date. Avast supplies updates usually about 5 times a week. Don't have more than one AV application installed.

You might also be getting low on disk space which will slow down your PC. Windows needs at least 300MB free space at all times. Uninstall anything you don't use.

Defrag regularly. Don't just do it once then forget it for another year! Especially if you regularly install and uninstall stuff, since they are the main cause of file and folder fragmentation.

If nothing here makes any difference, I suggest you run HijackThis and post the log to the appropriate forum and check back for further instructions.

Edited by pip22, 08 May 2006 - 12:43 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi there

I followed your instructions (thanks for the help!) but it hasn't made a big difference so I've posted now to the HiJack This logs section and I'll wait a day or two to see what guys over there say.

Cheers :-) Matt