Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTFS conversion question.

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Last week I converted my C: from FAT32 to NTFS in an attempt to 'wring' some more speed out but it seems to have SLOWED down my system. I'm using XP Home with C and E logical drives on 1 physical drive and D, F, G, H on another physical drive (that's right C and E on 1st physical ... used to be C & D but reloaded XP several months ago and XP 'automatically' "renamed" my logical drives) plus NAV and ZoneAlarm firewall. WHAT TO DO??

One thing that happens now (I don't know if affects the speed) is that ZA blocks communications with 'Generic Host process for WIN32 Services'. Should I 'remove' that service? (Haven't yet because4 don't really know if it's required.) Again, WHAT TO DO??

Also, ZA says it's protecting me from IP use of 66.150.208.55. Not sure what this means.

Sorry if this belongs in another forum ... I'll switch it if so. Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....you're listing two seperate deals here...i haven't seen converting to NTFS cause DRASTIC speed issues but it could...to narrow it down can you completely disable or uninstall ZA TENPORARILY to see if that's where the slowdown is?

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thanks for the quick response.
Removed ZA and Win Explorer seems to run faster but list of pgms when do a Control Panel->Add/Remove Pgms is still slower than b4 the conversion. Guess that says ZA isn't the culprit - altough w/o it Firefox seems to load faster ... but that's understandable. Do you think re-installing ZA and NAV would help.
Oh, just remembered ... also have AVG running - should I reinstall (or maybe uninstall)?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you shouldn't need AVG and NAV....they could be conflicting...a reinstall of ZA and or your AV prog might do something..