Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

getting stuff off my dead laptop

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my laptop is dead (no longer charges...used to work if the ac cord was fiddled with a lot, but now that doesn't even work) and so i am getting a new laptop that should come monday but i want to see if i can get my music off the dead one somehow. please help me!

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

The simplest way to transfer your files across, is to invest in a 2.5in USB caddy. See the link below for an example of one :

All you need to do is remove the hard drive from the dead laptop, place it in the caddy, then connect it to the USB port of the new laptop. You can then copy across anything you want from the old drive to the new one

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have the same problem. My old laptop is dead. I want to copy the data from the old hard drive
(Seagate Momentus 4200.2 100GB Ultra ATA 44 pin) to my new laptop. The web site above is out of stock. Any retail store or other web site where I can find something that would work?