Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maxtor One Touch II suddenly disappeared

• Please log in to reply

North

North

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have an external Maxtor One Touch II drive. I was in the middle of downloading some video onto it when suddenly the program (Pinnacle Studio DV 9) crashed. I re-opened and got a message "unable to locate drive K:"

When I open My Computer I see the drive listed under "Other" as "Maxtor Locked Drives." When I right click on it and click on "unlock drive" nothing happens.

I have never password protected this drive.

I'm running Windows XP, SP2.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Different USB ports
2. Connect via fire wire
3. Connect drive to another computer
4. Device manager uninstall drive and reboot. XP recognizes the new hardware, but still cannot access drive.

Any help would be appreciated as I have an almost completed movie project on that drive. Many hours invested.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Snshne

Snshne

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi-
I am having the same problem - did you get a response from anywhere?

Thanx! :tazz:

ineedhelpnow

ineedhelpnow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem! Were either of you able to get it to work? Mine even showed the Maxtor drive AND the locked drive. I put data on the Maxtor, then the next day POOF it was gone (the drive that is). I've tried everything (changing cords, changing USB ports, etc.)

ANY IDEAS?

North

North

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I was able to solve the problem finally. I called Maxtor and was told that I could try to recover the files using Hard Drive Recovery Software. You'll find several of them on the Internet. I first tried a couple freebies on ZD-Net. The first one I tried, called "Recover My Files" was worthless as it only recovers certain types of files made by a limited list of programs like Word, Excel, etc. The 2nd one I tried was called "R-Studio" and this one was able to find all the files on the Maxtor Drive. The free version of course had limits on the size of the files it would recover, so I had to fork out the $60.

So I did that, downloaded the full version over the Internet, and gave it a try. To be honest I was very skeptical. If you know anything about video editing, you know that the files are huge and have a lot of complex links to other things on the hard drive from sound files to jpegs. I had a 35 minute almost finished project on my Maxtor Hard Drive. So it was almost 100 gigs of files.

In the end it not only found all the files (but it was a very slow process, taking a couple of hours), but the video project actually worked once recovered with the exception of a couple minor glitches where a sound file or photo were missing or corrupted.

So I guess there is hope.

I have since re-formatted my Maxtor and am now backing up my computer onto it once a week, but with my fingers crossed and doing peace-of-mind backups of critical data on CD-Rs.

Snshne

Snshne

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried the R-Studio software. But It doesn't recognize the Maxtor Drive either. So that didn't work. Also, the One touch makes a little musical sound about every 10 -15 seconds... like it's trying to do something, but can't.
Anyone else with a suggestion??

Thanx~

ineedhelpnow

ineedhelpnow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just spent 1+ hr on the phone with Maxtor (partial that long b/c I rebooted my comp about 8 times)... They DID fix it. They had me disconnect the drive, unistall the software using the CD it came with. I also had to connect the external drive to another PC in my office and reformat it (quick version) - reformat = lose all info on drive. I then installed the CD software again (with the drive still disconnected). It works now. Call Maxtor and they will walk you through it... in the USA call 1-800-262-9867

Snshne

Snshne

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanx so much! I was hoping not to have to reformat - I need some info. But if that's not going to happen, then at least I might not have to wait while I send it back to Maxtor...

mae

mae

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there! I have the same problem, and I've tried everything, recovering software, install/re-install, drivers etc Nothing work, the drive is completely locked ("Maxtor Locked Drivers"). And I don't want to loose the crucial data I've got stored on my drive!

Need help here!, Anyone who know how to solve it???! PLEASE! (It's an Maxtor One touch II 300GB firewire/USB)

The River

The River

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi there all
I an haveing the same problem with my maxtor 300gb hd one touch mark 2

After many hours and many emails to maxtor , they are replaceing my hd , not what i really wanted to happen , but it is better than nothing !!!!!! , so if you can not get your hb to work , best to get hold of maxtor and try and get a new hard drive from them :tazz:

Edited by The River, 07 May 2005 - 04:32 AM.

warmpepsi

warmpepsi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I searched the web, as my maxtor one touch went down, during a laptop format.

Was linked to this site.

My drive would be visable, but would say that it's "Unable to access, drive is Corrupted and unreadable"

I tried the demo of that r-studio listed above and BAM, theres all my files.

I plunked down the cash for the whole thing, and recovered everything that i had.

Just wanted to thank the poster above for the help, and let anyone else know how to get their stuff back. This maxtor sucks!!!