Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about a start up problem

• Please log in to reply

dubam

dubam

• Pip
  • 2 posts
On my windows 98 computer, when I start up, I get the following message:
non-system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready.

The problem, there is no disk in the drive. I have tried, restartingand putting a disk in and taking it out. During start up the light blinks on the A drive and you can hear it attempting to read a disk. The question is will I need to replace the A drive, or can I just remove it and use an external option like I use on my windows XP? (that thing that replaced disks, I just don't remember what it's called. Also, being relatively new to computers, am I right in assuming that removing the A drive is a simple matter. ( unplug, unscrew)
Thanks

I edited the last bit to size 7 :whistling: Big innit

Edited by Keith, 09 May 2006 - 01:25 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, set the boot order to hard drive, CD ROM and put A as the last device, look for floppy boot seek and disable that, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, press enter to reboot

dubam

dubam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, that didn't work, when I got to the set up screen this is what was listed.

under system:
PCI BUS MASTER-ENABLED
SYSTEM POST-FAST
POWER MANAGEMENT-ENABLED
SETUP PASSWORD
MEMORY REPORTING-DISABLED

under storage:
DISKETTE A- SIZE OF DISK (RIGHT SIZE WAS LISTED)
DISKETTE B- NOT INSTALLED
SELECT OP SYSTEM TYPE-DOS OR DOS & WINDOWS
ENHANCED IDE-ENABLED
ULTRA 33 IDE-DISABLED
PRIMARY IDE-ENABLED

I tried, changing the Diskette A to not installed, hoping it would bypass it, but it didn't. Oh, and by the way, I couldn't use the delete key to get to the start up window. I had to use F10 or F11, I don't remember which, to get to the setup window.
I'm at a loss at what to try next. If I could get to the desktop, I could use the compact recovery to re install windows. I don't have the disks or CD for windows 98 , but COMPAQ has a the quick restore on the computer. How would I get the computer to start in DOS mode, maybe there is something I could so with a DOS command? maybe tell it to run a specific program.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There must be more screens