Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BF2 question

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I used to have a thing were I would disconnect from servers every 2-5 minutes after I join, I am not lagging and I have beyond the required specifications, so I googled this problem. Well a forum said set the affinity to one core since I have a dual-core processor, and it worked, but I get lower FPS, and this didn't used to happen before...

So what should I do? (Also, is EA developing dual-core support for BF2? Will BF 2142 have dual-core support?)

Advertisements

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
that's weird...the same thing happened to me on battlefield vietnam, but it said that it was a "Server Log-On error...but i don't know what's wrong. sorry. :whistling:
yeah, bf 2142 will have dual-core support, i read it on IGN a couple days ago. AND it's supposed to come out in fall of 2006. it's also supposed to be less of a graphics and ram hog then bf 2.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
How can it if its on the same engine as BF2? :S

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i don't know, but i know that ea knew that a lot of people were complaining about it being so they're attempting to make it easier to run on most computers. i'll look around for some more info.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
They need support for dual-cores on BF2 is what they need. -_-

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not really most people have single core and games dont like threading it makes them harder to code, also if you use the secnod core you cant use it for something else like physics operations.

Quake 4 is based on the doom3 engine but it runs better than doom3 did, what they do is go through and update the engine tweak it and cut the crap and use new technology to enhance it. A good example of this is what they are doing with the new enenmy terrritoy game but its using new technology to make the doom3 engine capable of running the game with a single texture that only uses 6 mg of vid ram compared to the hundred or so it would normally.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
6 mg? 6 MB?

So what? Basically, people with dual-cores are going to suffer till a bit? >_>

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
yeah, i don't like how some games exclude certain technology options because they're to 'old' orgh. just my little imput. (i'm still l;ooking for that ign thingie magig about bf 2142

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Well CoD 2 made a patch for Intel dual-cores so What the...?

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
'cause they reconized that a lot of people have dual-core processors.

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

'cause they reconized that a lot of people have dual-core processors.

So why can't EA and just do the same thing as Activision did? -_-

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
which was...?

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

which was...?

Make the dual-core patch for CoD 2... -_-

You didn't know who made CoD now did you? =/

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Actually it was more a compatibility thing to help with dual cores and it also was a test bed thing, its basically a piece of xbox multi core code they modified for purpose.

Dual cores arent something that is under used or will be, but having expressly dual core games is a bad thing, what you can use the second core like i said is things like physics operations why buy a useless physx card when you can just use your second core which is faster anyway, a single core user will still be able to play well you just get your litlle extra on the second core option, they arent useless they can be used for something much more useful and easier than hyperthreading.

If you have the knowledge it should be possible to modify the agiea drivers to use you second core and your system memory for physx operations, although at the moment the technology is fairly useless only handful of games use it and only one uses it enough to see a difference and that is only because Ageia payed for the game.

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i thought activision made cod2...