Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nvidia gforce 5500 not working after reformatting

• Please log in to reply

Bareck

Bareck

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all

Well heres the problem: a few days ago i descided to reformat my harddrive, i did my preperations and went on with it, i have a HP pavilion 559 computer with an Nvidia gforce 5500 graphics card. Well everything was all done and loaded up, i went to install the drivers on my computer for the graphics card and for some reason it just didnt seem to do anything after it reset. I did ti again but it just didnt work. So i went online and downlaoded the driver from the nvidia website and downloaded the proper driver. When i installed it about half way through installation it flashed black a few times then went into a screen with a dash that flashed on the upper left corner... it stayed there as if the computer froze up in that screen. I reset the computer and the windows logo came up just fine with the loading up, after that it just turned black... nothing else, i could hear soundeffects as if everything was loading up but it was just a black screen. my monitor was plugged into the graphics card, i checked the bios and it was set to PCI... temproarally i have it on VGA now until i figure it out.

THanks in advance
Bareck

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You could try cleaning up the drivers with Driver Cleaner (it is free, at http://www.drivercleaner.net/ ). Make sure you have the current driver available to install when finished. Download Driver Cleaner. Then boot into safe mode (F8 during boot up) and run Driver Cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then re-boot and install the current driver. You may need to disable the on board VGA in your bios.