Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Randomly Trying to Install Application

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I'm thinking I need a Windows repair. This is what has happened recently: I had to remove and reinstall my Norton Internet Security, and then my Java wasn't working. I reinstalled it and finally got it to work, once I realized there were firewall issues. I also started having my current problem around the same time.

This is my current problem. For no reason at all, I keep getting a window popping up, telling me that Windows wants to install Easy CD & DVD Creator. I already own this application, so I don't know where this random message is coming from. I haven't downloaded it, so I don't know what's up. It's extremely random. Sometimes I'll open a window inside Windows, and I'll get the prompt, and Windows will tell me that it's ready to install Easy CD & DVD Creator. Early this evening I had to restart the computer because I couldn't get the message to stop. I kept hitting cancel, but it just kept popping up, as if in a loop.

I have run a virus scan with Kaspersky (two days ago), as recommended by ComputerWiz12890. In fact, I'm running a second scan, but it hasn't found anything. I ran Ad-Aware already today, but it found nothing important. I don't think this is a virus, but definitely a malfunction. I have also already run a Norton (internal) virus scan, and AVG scan. Neither found anything. The Kaspersky found something that had been on the computer for quite some time. If it was a virus, it was an extremely quiet and inactive one. The Kaspersky scan claimed I had arczip-28368554-336e44e5.zip. I was able to delete this item embedded deep in the Java subdirectories by putting it in the trash. I've never dealt with such a wimpy virus that was so easily dispatched.

Any suggestions as to what's wrong with the computer? I think it's Windows that needs repair. In fact, ComputerWiz12890 began to suggest that, but then the Java issue was more pressing to me at the time.

If you agree, would you please tell me what to do to repair this problem?

ComputerWiz12890, are you there?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sounds like a corrupt roxio install file or setting

If you haven't tired it yet, remove roxio in add/remove control panel, then reinstall

If you have tried it, remove it again then run the microsoft installer cleanup and check the roxio products, then reinstall

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Here's the thing: Roxio came with my computer when I purchased it. I've never downloaded it. I don't believe I have any backup files of it of any kind. This very weird random thing just started happening. I'm thinking that if I remove it, it's gone forever. I do have the full NeroVision application, so I doubt that I need Roxio, although it's great for making CDs. I know how to make CDs with it. Any idea what will happen to it if I remove it from Control Panel?