Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Daul booting

• Please log in to reply

adambcohen

adambcohen

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I do not know if this is possible or not, but I think it should be. This is what I have; I have taken a computer and installed win xp on a 160gb hard drive and can boot from it. Now, I would like to take a 2gb hard drive which has win 95 on it and boot from that too. There has to be a way to do this. When the computer boots up to choose between the two. If anyone knows of a way please let me know.
Thanks inadvance
Adam Cohen

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You need to add lines to the system/hidden file called BOOT.INI which will then cause a menu to be displayed every time you boot your PC, so you can choose which OS to run. This may help:

http://vlaurie.com/c...les/bootini.htm

adambcohen

adambcohen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
WOW!!! That is great and it is what I was looking for. Please, bare with me I am going to give it a try and I will get back to you.
Thank You So Much.
Adam

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
which boot.ini, though? there are two seperate hard drives, therefor two boot.ini files...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...to answer that question dragon...which drive is the system booting to by default (the answer SHOULD be the one that's set as the master on the primary ide controller...).. as that would be the instance of windows that you would want to be modifying as it's the one that is accessing the boot sector..