Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dead system

• Please log in to reply

legsyoung

legsyoung

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I decided after a couple of months to see what was wrong with my second computer. When I set it up you can see the fans and hear them working and the system powers up but the screen is blank. So I thought maybe the onboard video was damaged/dead, so I put in an expansion card and nothing - the screen is still blank but the system powers up. So I tried 2 other monitors and still I can hear the system powers up and the screen is blank. I plugged in a different hard drive and still the system powers up and the screen is blank. I put thermal component in between the CPU and the heat sink because it was dry after 2 1/2 years. and still the system powers up but the screen is blank. Could it be my motherboard or CPU?????? Nonthing has happened like power surg and no hardware or software have been added. the Hardward and software is the same as when I purchased it 2 1/2 years ago. I only get a blank screen while the system is running so I cannot see to check for a virus. I cannot even look at bios settings or anything.
Please help!!!!!!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Remove all of the ram and then boot up. If you do not hear beep codes the motherboard is bad. This assumes your system speaker is working.

legsyoung

legsyoung

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I can here the system power up and with the side panel off I can see the fan on the CPU running and feeling the power supply running. But the screen is blank. I am really wtill believing the mobo is dead but I am not sure??? Please help!!!!!!!!!!1

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Did you as Austin suggested?

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
remove the RAM, disconnect all extra cards (including a video card, since the integrated video is obviously not the issue), disconnect the ribbon cables, etc. basically, strip it down to bare bones. power it on. if there is a beep code, your RAM is bad. if not, it could *possibley* be a bad power supply. i have experienced a power supply failing, just not completely, and causing symptoms such as this.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
It is the power supply. This same thing happend to my old computer. Of course it depends on the type of computer.

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
didnt i already say that may be the cause?