Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building $350 Budget PC

• Please log in to reply

timrivard05

timrivard05

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am building a budget pc that i can upgrade over time, this will be my first build ever so i want to make sure that all of my hardware sounds good and that im not missing anything. I did try to buy retail items not bare drives or bulk drives, i figured this would be best. I have a copy of windows xp, as well as Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor so Below are my specs.

M861G Motherboard (Video+Audio+LAN)
AMD 64 3400+ 754pin ( i know its the outdated socket but im looking for speed)
256MBDDR (upgrade down the road)
Combo Set from ENETSHOPPING $189.13 -Free Shipping

Broadway Com 500W Mid Tower ATX ( with 3 fans)
Seagate 160gb 7200RPM 2mb Cache HD
Combo Set from supergooddeal.com
$113.50 -Free Shipping

Samsung LightScribe 16X Double Layer DVD+/-RW Drive
supergooddeal.com
$46.99 -Free Shipping

This comes to a total of $349.62

Let me know what you think, or if there is anything that i am missing. Do you forsee any problems?

Advertisements

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
It is fine if you are not gaming. I assume that you have monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, hard drive, and operating system.

I would go here

Power Up Silver ATX w/ Ultra X-Finity 500W Power Supply
Very good power supply for only $50 (with case)

That would give you enough money for
Ultra 512MB DDR400 RAM

That gives you enough, 1 GB would be $70.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well its allright bit the problem with socket 754 is its quite far behond 939 and its soon to become technology 3 generations behind when they launch am2(also a 939 alot even though rated slower will outperform) there is going to be new socket and chip releases in just and this means price drops so i might wait a month to capatilise on the normal clearances.

Your biggest problem is the lack of ram XP hates runing on anything less than 512mb, and case cheap cases and psus especailly can be more hassle than they are worth make sure the company you get them from is reliable, roswill the newegg own brand is considered allright but not being US i cant vouch for any comapnies over there that we dont get here.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
There is nothing wrong with Socket 754. The only thing really wrong with it is that most S754 boards use AGP, which is just about dead. Socket 939 IS set to die before Socker 754, 754 is to be produced for a quarter longer. S754 CPUs are just as good as S939 CPUs.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No they arent they lack some of the extended extension sets, and they are made using an inferior manufacturing process making them hotter running and less reliable they also lack the ability to use dual channel memory. They are not identical to 939 and they are not even as close to as good as 939s in terms of performance as they can run at hugher speeds and dual channel is as much as 30% boost in performance.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I think (if I'm reading this right) that everyone is trying to say is that considering how fast things move in terms of upgrades, a $300 PC is a monolithic rock. It will be hard to find decent everythings for under that.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
They don't do dual channel memory and they are a bit hotter but the thing he wants is a BUDGET PC! It does not really matter to get a 939 if he doesn't want to game or use high end apps. 939 is usually more expensive than 754 and he probably won't need a good graphics card nor dual channel memory or higher clock speeds for A BUDGET PC!

timrivard05

timrivard05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just want a pc that will preform normal tasks at a good speed. I am not a gamer nor do i use anything more exciting than microsoft office as far as programs. I want a cheap system that will enable me to download lots of music, and that will be able to burn some dvd's.

I do plan on upgrading the RAM soon, i will be putting in a 512mb addition. When i do that i will also be putting in another DVD RW drive. Those are the updates that will be made initially, but i would like to add piece by piece and make it super nice eventually i just have a budget to start with.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
If music and CD's is your focus, I guess the biggest factors would be the Hard Drive and the CPU? (Back me up if I'm right, correct me if I'm wrong.)

So you can probably go cheap on the other things and raise the quality you can get on the HardDrive and CPU.

timrivard05

timrivard05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
What kind of cables will i need?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you get retail stuff you wont need anything at all all cables normally come with the motherboard. Still 939 is what you should go for if you can manage it it offers better upgradaiblity further down the line so that you arent stuck with a budget pc you can upgrade to smoething more powerful when or if you need it where 754 is more difficult to upgrade.

timrivard05

timrivard05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My hard drive WD1600JS a western digital 160gb SATA drive Found Here
what cables will i need for this? It is a bare drive, its the only non retail item i plan on buying.?

Edited by timrivard05, 10 May 2006 - 03:26 PM.