Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plugged in a Usb , now no power at all!

• Please log in to reply

undercore

undercore

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just a quick question i have a mobo Gigabyte (GA-8IG1000MK(Rev 2.x)
) and recently a usb cable was plugged in the front ,it was for like a palm pilot hot synch or something.But immediately after that apparently the screen went black , the fans sped up and the computer shut down.Now i have not been able to get any power on the board , or boot up since . I checked my power supply and its fine but I think my mobo is deeead.Oh well , Im sick of pulling my hair out trying to figure out this problem so I thought I would ask anyone if could verify that the thing is pooched and I need to get a new one.

Thanks
Undercore

Advertisements

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
You might be correct. Sometimes(in rare cases) when you plug in a USB the motherboard can go dead or a wire migh be dead causing the whole computer not to turn on because it might think this wire is very important to bootup with. You have two options:
1. Take your motherboard to Geek Squad or some other company and have them try to discover the faulty wire.
2. Buy a whole new motherboard.

Recommended:
If you are going to buy a new motherboard try to get a dual core at a low price so you won't need to buy a new one for a couple of years or until they come out with a triple core processor. Another recommended processor would be an SLI board from nVidia(my preference).

But then again, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend! :whistling:

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Good luck and be sure to let me know how this works out! :whistling:

Edited by Anton1382, 10 May 2006 - 07:25 PM.