Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS Udgrade

• Please log in to reply

burnsryan

burnsryan

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
hi guys,

trying to flash my bios but cant find a suitable flash utility and bios upgrade.

my mother board is a PC Chips M747. bios is american megatrends. checked both their web sites....nothing!!!!

got a flash utility from American Megatrends but when i run it i get this error message "Flash Utility does not support System BIOS "

also tried the 990521.rom upgrade.........nothing either!!!!!!

any tips???

thanks

ryan

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just one--don't

It sounds like you're scrambling to find the right combination of bios and flash utility---this is a dangerous combination

If your motherboard maker does not provide a utility and flash image, you are taking a big risk

pcchips makes a lot of motherboards for large oems--the reason you cannot find it on the PCChips website is that they do not support the motherboards them make for said OEMs--the OEMS (DELL, HP, COMPAQ) do.

Trying to force a bios update is a dicey proposition

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
And as a general rule of thumb, you shouldn't upgrade your BIOS unless you are having problems that are caused by your BIOS. If your system BIOS works fine, leave it alone.