Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't see wired computer

• Please log in to reply

ROO123

ROO123

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
hello, iv got a fustrating problem, ive set up a wireless home network, the wireless router is connected to the internet, one computer is connected to the router via cable and the other computer is connected by wireless. the problem is i cannot see the wired computer in my network places, but i can ping the wired computer from the wireless computer by name and IP address. i can also ping the router access the Internet. Ive tried disabling the firewall but still had no success. one other thing which might help sovle the problem is that when i try to print to the printer connected to the wired computer, a messages comes up that says the RPC server is unavailable. what do you thing the problem is?

thanks in advance for the reply

Advertisements

SirMrX

SirMrX

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
when you say you try to connect do you mean you try to access its drives?
if thats what your' talking about you need to install the "File and Printer Sharring" Service that allows you to access other drives and computers.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Installing File and Printer Sharing is definitely the first step on the road to a working network.

Basic Checklist for Networking
1. Ensure that all firewalls are disabled for all computers involved.
2. Ensure that all computers on the network are in the same workgroup.
3. Ensure each computer has File and Printer Sharing installed.
4. Ensure that you have File Sharing enabled - to do this, right-click on any Drive or Folder on one (or all) of the computers, and select Sharing and Security.... Ensure that Share this folder on the Network is enabled.

The checklist is just there to cover the basics :whistling:

I know you've said that the Wireless computer can ping the wired computer, but can the wired computer connect to the wireless computer?

Try creating a brute connection from the wireless to the wired computer --

Start --> Run --> type \\WIRED_IP\Shared_Drive\Shared_Folder -- ie: \\192.168.0.101\D\Music -- and press OK --> If you're unable to connect, please post the error message that appears.

Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: net view \\WIRED_IP -- ie: net view \\192.168.0.101 -- are you able to connect?

If these two commands fail, try repeating them whilst both computers are in Safe Mode with Networking..

How to restart into Safe Mode with Networking
Please restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and Safe Mode with Networking (along with a few others). Please tap the down key until you reach Safe Mode with Networking, and then press the Enter key. Your computer should now boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

- Dan

ROO123

ROO123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi dan, ive done all the above and the error messages ive got from running that run command is "Network path was not found" this was also similar to the message from the net view command.