Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no bluetooth in xp sp2?!

• Please log in to reply

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
hey guys i kno XP sp2 came w/ bluetooth support & all but it seems as if my comp doesnt have bluetooth AT ALL on windows ive tried to access bluetooth settings through various ways but it seems as if bluetooth didnt come w/ my copy of SP2 which was already on when i got it shipped new from dell last aug 05.. any ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
bluetooth has to have hardware...of course xp comes with native bluetooth drivers...but does your computer have a bluetooth transmitter/reciever? i'm gonna say probably not..you can get usb bluetooth devices that will solve this

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

bluetooth has to have hardware...of course xp comes with native bluetooth drivers...but does your computer have a bluetooth transmitter/reciever? i'm gonna say probably not..you can get usb bluetooth devices that will solve this

yea i do im borrowing friends usb dongle (motorola PC850) but you see there is NO windows native bluetooth drivers in here at all & I dont know why should i just reinstall SP2?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is it not detecting the device? or are you just not able to set up a connection?

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

is it not detecting the device? or are you just not able to set up a connection?

its detecting the device but i cant properly run it coz there is NO basic windows native BT driver.. its like there gone completely i dunno if it was a corrupt install by dell or what back in aug 05 but should i just do a reinstall of sp2? & if i DO would all my existing programs such as MS office 2003 stay intact? I think it does*

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
any thots?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you were to uninstall then reinstall sp2 it SHOULDN"T effect your programs...it may...but it shouldn't

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did the bluetooth device come with any software? did you install that software?

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
thx 4 replying ds.. no it didnt just the dongle it works w/widcomm drivers i think broadcom is its maker of widcomm.. but i tried reinstalling sp2 (couldnt even uninstall it through several ways) so i just used my dell system restore utility it did some ghost of it and did clean install of XP thankfully .. idk wat happened if something got corrupt in my old sp2 install coz when i ran tool to check correct windows file it asked for xp disc to install proper windows .dll files but i forgot to request 1 w/ my pc so i didnt have 1 so i just did clean reinstall of windows xp w/ dell restore utility & YES i did backup data i needed coz obviously clean install just installs the basic OS and whatever software the pc originally came w/ lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
um...so is it working now or not?

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts