Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer shuts off for NBA LIVE 05

• Please log in to reply

shinhay

shinhay

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi, my computer or just the game itself shuts off when i try to play the 3 point shootout, only in the dynasty mode. This started happening after i had disconnected the ac power supply from teh motherboard to get a good look at why it was making noise. I reconnected the cords that i had disconnected again, as was recommended to do from someone. The program still shuts off.

Edited by shinhay, 09 May 2006 - 02:46 PM.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello shinhay,

Disconnecting the power cable from the motherboard shouldn't have any effect, unless of course you did that when the PC was switched on.

What are your system specs?
Have you updated all your drivers?
Do you get any errors logged in the event logs?
Have you turned off automatically restart on errors to check for a blue screen?

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
A system spontaneously rebooting in the middle of a game is usually either thermal or power related. Since you mentioned that this didn't start untill after you disconnected and reconnected a power cord, I'm gonna say that your power supply is on it's way out. The good news is that power supplies are cheaper than ever these days. The bad news is that you have to replace it.

Edited by ViperKillerWannabe, 10 May 2006 - 01:23 PM.

shinhay

shinhay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
My system specs...
Sony Vaio
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.2 GHz
800 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 Cache
512MB PC-3200 400MHz DDR

250GB 7200 rpm hard drive

ATI RAdeon 9200 128MB

I've only had this computer for about 2 years, unless that means its a long time.
I'm not sure if my drivers are updated. If anything, i dont think i did any of the things you (ZEUS_GB) suggested. My power supply has been kind of lately. It makes a really annoying sound until i bang the table or something to stop it. Sometimes it never ends. I don't know if that's a sign that my power supply isn't working properly.

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Two years is a *really* long time for a computer, however NBA Live '05 should run just fine on it. Update your video drivers and see if that helps.