Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Laptop Running Slowwwww

• Please log in to reply

BCapps

BCapps

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an HP Pavilion zv5000z notebook, AMD Athlon 64 3700+, 1GB RAM at 797MHz, 100 GB HD (w/15 GB free), running Win XP Pro SP2. I have run McAfee ASAP (i.e., realtime) Antivirus (w/antispyware) and Firewall for the past 18 mos. or so (i.e., since purchase of notebook). I run MS Office 2003 (w/a couple XP components), and many other general business apps (and some software dev apps and CAD/3D apps), but seldom do I run many at a time. This is a personal notebook also used on a small P-t-P business network.

Recently, due to increasing slowdown in performance, I reformatted and reinstalled the OS, drivers, and apps/peripherals (incl. all desirable updates), in that order. Nevertheless, my performance appears to have degraded, rather than improved. I've minimized the number of startup apps. I've monitored running processes using Task Manager, Sysinternals' Process Explorer, and now WinTasks Pro 5.04. According to what WinTasks tells me (and from what I can otherwise discern), there are few if any disableable processes/services running.

Primary complaint is consistent delays of 5-20 secs in application starts (e.g., IE, Acrobat, anything really) and/or focus switches, slow/delayed responses to user input (e.g., mouse-clicks), and periodic but temporary freezes (mouse movement, keyboard input). These don't seem associated with any detectable/reported processor usage spikes, etc.

McAfee and Windows are current, and automatic updates are on. Virus/spyware scans come back clean.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you install all the latest drivers after reinstall--particularly chipset drivers and video drivers?

In what order did you install them?

BCapps

BCapps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, I did install the newest/updated drivers furnished by HP, incl. processor; however, I don't recall the order I reinstalled/updated. I did use the recovery CD to install the drivers initially, then updated. Is there a preferred order?

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay in responding.

Bryan