Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop shuts off when I touch screen

• Please log in to reply

bober174

bober174

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop, and sometimes when I go to adjust the angle of the screen it goes black. After this happens, my computer is still running, because I can hear the fan, but there is no response on the screen. I have to hold the power button down to shut it off. Sometimes when I try to turn it back on, my computer sounds like it's starting, but the screen stays black. It usually takes between 3 and 20 tries to get the computer to turn on with the screen working.
Any suggestions?

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hello bober174 and welcome to G2G!

It sounds like a loose connection and/or a dodgy backlight. Quite enough you'll find that laptop manufacturers don't sell backlights on their own they only sell the whole panel which can be quite expensive. If it's under warranty get Dell to look at it.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
It could be a faulty power supply. But I do recommend checking with Dell first. If it isn't under warrenty anymore, bring it to Geek Squad. :whistling:

bober174

bober174

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It isn't under warranty any more. I took it apart a while ago to see what I could find. The heatsink for the CPU was missing a screw, so it wasn't really making any contact with it. I reattached it with the missing screw and some thermal compound. The next chance I get I'm going to take it apart again and look for a loose connection. I know it's not the power supply because it happens with the battery too.

Does anyone know of a tutorial online for taking laptops apart?

Thanks,
Brian

Edited by bober174, 11 May 2006 - 10:29 AM.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
What kind of laptop do you have? (Every laptop gets taken apart differently) :whistling:

Edited by Anton1382, 11 May 2006 - 01:43 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://support.dell.com/?~ck=mn you can get the manual from here for your laptop should tell you how to disaasemble it, whatever you do dont take it to a geeksquad its got a terrible reputation and they over charge by a huge amount for what they actually do which is as often as not nothing.

Anton your sig is a bit to big they should be <16Kb

bober174

bober174

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I found a tutorial for removing a laptop LCD at http://www.lcds4less...tructions.shtml I removed the screen and checked all the connections. They all seemed fine. I turned the computer back on and it worked fine for a few minutes. I was able to move the screen without problem. Then I moved the screen after letting it sit for a while and it shut off. I disconnected the screen from the inverter and I was able to start the computer (although it was really dark). It worked again for a while, then shut off while I was moving it. So, it obviously isn't the backlight. Then I reconected the inverter and started the compputer up. I wiggled the video connection on the back of the screen to try to simmulate the problem. The computer shut off completely; before when it shut off it was only the monitor, I could still hear the hard drive spinning. This leads me to believe that it isn't the monitor at all, but I have a bigger problem now. After it shut down the last time I haven't been able to start it back up again. Please help.

bober174

bober174

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I figured out how to get it started, but the screen doesn't turn on at all. I can hear the hard drive spooling, and the led lights that tell me the computer is running turn on, but there is no picture.

Thanks again for all your help,
Brian

bober174

bober174

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Whew, I got it to work again. I took it all apart and checked the connections. Now I am back where I started. It still shuts off when I move the screen. Is it possible that it could be a heat issue? The only time I ever hear the fan running is when I first start it up. How can I check the CPU's temp?

Thanks,
Brian

meir123

meir123

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear Brian,

I seem to be having the same problem as you are. Yet I can't find any loose connections. As for checking the CPU's temp, you can use programs such as Motherboard monitor, Hmonitor.....
I also hear my fan working only at start up. However, I ran a fan test and results showed that the fan was fine. I still suspect a faulty fan, but the computer's symptoms don't match this problem. why should the screen shut off when it is touched? Any suggestions/ help ??!!!!

-Meir

Advertisements

bober174

bober174

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I found a temp monitoring program and after the computer is on for a few minutes the temp rises to about 53 C. I also did the fan diognostic and the computer says the fan is fine. I looked online for a new fan and they are about $70, but I still can't tell if it is the fan or another problem.

Meir,
Let me know if you find anything out. Also, what kind of laptop do you have?

Brian

Edited by bober174, 30 May 2006 - 11:26 AM.

meir123

meir123

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have the same laptop as u do- dell inspiron 1000. ur cpu temp seems normal.

bober174

bober174

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The laptop seems really hot to the touch. I can't even work on it while it is sitting on my lap! The temp monitoring program says that it is overheated.

meir123

meir123

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ur cpu temp does seem high. my cpu temp only reached 44 C. however, i still think that the comp can still run without any problems at that temp. i looked up the max temp-its around 66-77C. btw which program are u using to monitor the temp?

u should also try taking apart ur laptop and cleaning the fan. this might lower cpu temp and might even solve other problems.

bober174

bober174

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am using speedfan to monitor the temp. It is really wierd because, I can have the computer on for a while and it says the temp is around like 44. Then, when I restart the computer and run the program it immediatly says that it is 53 degrees.

I have taken it apart multiple times to clean it and check for loose connections. Everything seems fine.