Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
hi there,

i have a problem after i installed linux, that is, Partition Magic wont run in windows. Here is the error message:

"Init failed: Error 117.
Partition's driver letter cannot be identified."

I had a thought that it might happen...and it did...
I scrambled my way for figuring out how to set dual boot for both win xp and linux. And this is what happened at the end...

I can access to both systems, but how do i get partition magic to work?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I am not familar with partition magic, but I would think that it should work with Linux partitions (82 and 83, typically). I would contact Partition Magic to see if there is an upgrade or a way to deal with it.

The normal way to get a dual boot system is to use Lilo or Grub to select the boot partition. It is best to have a /boot partition, which is separate from any of the root partitions of an OS. I prefer grub because the config file is a text file and you don't need to reload the boot block.

If you run "fdisk" or another of the partition programs and print out the partition table (p option in fdisk), then cut and paste it to a message here, perhaps there is something set which is wrong.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://forums.pcworl...hp/t-26762.html
i've never used partition magic so i can't tell you what exactly you need to do with this...but i found this reference for partition magic needing to be run through dos for this error not to happen i've seen multiple references to the same scenario and all suggestions end with "don't run it through windows...only through dos"...for all versions....the link i posted mentioned something about PM having the ability to make a dos bootdisk to run the software...that might help

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also..you didn't mention what version you're using...if you're using 8.0 from symantec then this might help
http://symantec.atgn...esultType=5000#

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi, dsenette,

Thanks for the tips.

Yes, i'm using PM8. I have a question...that is...how do u run PM thru dos? after you type "command.com," and what is the rest...?

besides, my computer doesnt come with a floppy drive. So bootdisk wont work...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...that symantec link i posted is broken...linked to a completely different tool now....don't know why...well like i said i've never uses pm...soo..i'm not 100% sure....see if you can find anything in the help file or on the symantec site that tells you how to make their boot disk and use it....that process can almost always be transfered to a cd... if it's as simple as using a 98 or 2000 or xp boot disk then running some commands from the prompt....then you can go to www.bootdisk.com and get a boot disk image that you can run off a cd

vinnywright

vinnywright

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I had a simalar expereance with one of my linux instals.and had to make boot disk (or CD ) to run PM from DOS and then run drive maper! thin all wus well. and im suprised linux dident detect other OS and ask to instal grub or lilo boot loder. you can also try uninstaling PM and then reinstall and the first time you run it it shuld ask to run drive maper. MABY :whistling:

vinny

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
okie dokie
I'll give it a try. Thanks~