Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Dimension 4600 AGP Issues

• Please log in to reply

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I sold my AGP X800XL with a Silencer 4 cooler on it to my buddy. He has a Dell Dimension 4600 with an available AGP 8x slot. He currently has a nVidia 6600 GT OC that is AGP 8x. When he put in my card, the computer would just be a black screen (monitor had no signal). He tried everything from reconnecting power, trying to switch monitor ports, we tried some BIOS options, but not all. We ran out of ideas as to what we can do. The graphics card does power up, and it worked when I had it. Any ideas guys?

EDIT: His BIOS version is also A12. We updated it to that, but it didn't help.

Thanks,
Matt

Edited by FalloutYear, 09 May 2006 - 08:49 PM.

Advertisements

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I had the same problem on my old computer. In order for the graphics card to work you need to install it. Tell your friend to take out the graphics card and reinsert it. Make sure that the moniter connector cable is connected to the regular on board graphics port. You then can do a find new hardware search, and install driver for your graphics card (if you still have the disc that the graphics card came with, give that to your friend and tell him/her to install all the drivers on it). Then go to "dispay settings" and click the tab "settings" you will see a menu with a list of installed graphics cards. Click the one that says X800XL. Then click the option that says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this moniter." Then click "Use this device as my primary moniter." You will then have to switch the moniter connectivity cable to the graphics card's port and it should work. Now keep in mind that when your friend restarts his/her computer the picture might not show up right away. The screen will probably be blank up until it gets to the log in screen. :whistling:

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Please let me know if this works. :whistling:

My best wishes
Anton

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thanks for the reply! It's kind of hard to give him the original CD because he's in Texas, I'm in Illinois. But we haven't tried installing his drivers yet. I'll let you know for sure.

Thanks,
Matt

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Ok, well we can't do much. The screen is blank even with the X800XL in while the monitor is plugged in intergrated. This is weird... Intergrated by itself works though.

Edited by FalloutYear, 10 May 2006 - 09:54 PM.