Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Online Purchases & NAV 2006

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
In recent weeks I have been unable to make online purchases from well known websites (e.g., Amazon.com). When I click on a selection (e.g., book) to add to my order the response is consistently that I have nothing in my shopping cart. There is no typical notice that I need to allow cookies, etc. I've attempted this on several websites with the same result.

The only new item on my PC that I am aware of is my recent installation of Norton AV 2006. Any ideas?

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello ProEd,

What browser are you using?
Have you tried clearing your cookies, temp files, temp internet files etc?
What other security do you have?
Have you tried restoring your system to a time when it worked?

I would have to recommed that you get rid of Norton. Norton is an inferior product and it i'm opinion there are other packages even free ones that are miles better. Avast and AVG are both free anti-virus packages and they are miles better.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 10 May 2006 - 02:38 AM.

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello Zeus GB,

I have executed none of the above recommendations, since everything was fine prior to (I believe) my NAV 2006 installation. I will follow through w/ your recommendations. I generally clear cookies, history and temporary files every one to two months.

I have found your comment re: NAV to be prevalent throughout many sources, beyond GTG. As for AV software, I am looking seriously at NOD32. I have reviewed numerous excellent reports for them. As for Avast & AV, I would not touch them w/ a ten foot pole. I have run C: drive scans for several colleagues at work utilizing both of these packages. While they may/may not be effective, I define the word "slow" as either of them. How does 2 to 3 hours to perform a C: drive scan sound? Also, using Norton our IT guy at work found a virus on our company server after running both Avast & AV on individual PC's.

What do you think of Trend Micro? I've heard positive comments about them.

Thanks much for your response.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Norton detecting a Virus that Avast didn't i've never heard that it's normally the other way around. :whistling: False postive maybe?
I will admit that the Avast scan can take a while but that really depends on the scan options and how much data it has to scan.

I myself haven't used Trend Micro since the late 90's.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 11 May 2006 - 01:57 AM.

richc46

richc46

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You could go to the site. Shut down Norton and see if that works. You should be safe from Virus, if you do not leave the site, until you activate NAV, again.

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello Zeus GB.... A quick update. Sometime during the week following your last post my teenage son hit a website that hit back with deadly force (we will not discuss the nature of that website here, but teenage boys are curious). My son has been grounded from internet access until I can set up limited user accounts on XP (If you have any words of wisdom here I would appreciate them). My mistake for not doing this before this cataclysm. I STRONGLY URGE!!! anyone reading this post to setup protected accounts (i.e., limited access) if you have children/teenagers using your computer. I was warned and now am suffering for complacency.

I am in the process of running all the recommended first steps in the HijackThis section to remove infections, of which there have been many found, prior to posting a HijackThis log. I am amazed at how much malware has been removed so far from the various scans completed so far. Anyway, I'm hoping this process will resolve the problem you were helping me with. I'll be back to post results when complete. Given the lengthy & time consuming process of all the scans it will be a day or so more before I complete. I have to work too.

Anyway, I'm done w/ Norton for good. Second time they've failed me in the last year (1st time was Winfixer on my work laptop). I've read many good things about Nod32, will try them next.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I'm sorry to hear of your Malware problems.

Anti-virus packages aren't really designed to catch spyware/adware you need additional software to check for that.
I use Spybot, Ad-Aware, Ewido, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, Windows Defender and A Squared (Trojan scanner). All these packages are free or have free versions available. Windows updates are also essential.

Limited accounts are a good idea because with limited accounts you are restricted as to what you can do and if your restricted then software installing itself will be as well.

Having said all of this the most powerful tool is the arsenal has to be education.

Good luck removing that Malware, i'm sure the G2G Malware experts will be able to help you!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Norton isn't responsible for your malware issues. You had an inexperienced user on an admin account, for one. Norton AV is not a firewall and was never intended to be. Were you using the XP one?

Being unable to use shopping carts (the original problem) was likely from a malware issue, correct, not Norton? If you have a log posted in the malware forum, you are receiving expert help.

Johanna

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello Johanna & Zeus GB.... Thank you for your comments.

notes to Zeus GB;

- I use Spybot, Ad-Aware, Ewido, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard (having issues w/ this), Trojan Hunter along w/ NAV 2006. I have not tried Windows Defender or A Squared (so many to choose from & so many different recommendations). I was not aware that Ewido offers a freeware version and Trojan Hunter also states limited time freeware usage. I also use RegSeeker, Clean Up and occasionally CWShredder.

- I grew up in the pre-Windows (DOS) period (started programming w/ punch cards in the 70's), so I was "raised" to be somewhat paranoid when accessing the internet. I am pretty consistent at updating everything at least weekly, more frequently w/ critical applications.

- As for educating my children, well you can lead a horse to water.... I have put untold effort into educating them on such matters (a grey beards friendly wisdom, threats, you name it). So far, my efforts have paid off for 3, but obviously not the 4th child. Again, my greatest mistake was allowing too much freedom on the internet. That will be corrected.

notes to Johanna;

- My current AV software is NAV 2006 for XP, which touts virus, worm & spyware protection ("Antispyware included" stated on the box). I have used NAV continuously since starting up my 1st home PC many years ago. In that time, prior to the last year or so, it has caught a number of threats before they could pose a hazard. As of this writing, I am a former NAV enthusiast and you are the only G2G Staff who I have read non-negative comments from re: NAV.

- Re: using shopping carts, a Malware problem not NAV. See above. I'm done w/ NAV.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
NAV is not a firewall. An unprotected broadband connection is an open doorway for anything roaming the net, friendly or malicious. You know, you are probably right. I am probably the only G2G staff member who doesn't slam Norton. I have to support it for users, and I've learned to live with it. I trust it enough to run it on my own computer, and my hardware is good enough that there is no depreciation in performance. I do know my panicky users will disable Norton at the first sign of any difficulty therefore compounding whatever problems they originally had, so I get kind of touchy.

What firewall do you use?

Johanna

Advertisements

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Johanna.... Good to hear from you. Thanks for the response, sincerely.

1. I agree that Norton is not a firewall. However, Symantec implies total security in their marketing efforts.

2. My home connection is dial up (modem). So.... your broadband comment does not apply here. I have maintained the slow modem for a reason.... the bad guys usually ping for high speed ports rather than slow end dial ups (so I have been told). I have need of high speed at work, but so far not at home.

3. My firewall consists of my PC's XP-SP2 firewall software. Other protection that I use I have described above. I am looking at switching to DSLExtreme, based on comments from friends who use this provider and report very satisfactory performance, along w/ a solid firewall.

Comments? Wisdom? Always appreciated.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
There are a few good firewalls out there, examples would be Kerio, Sygate and Zone Alarm.

Zone Alarm is one of the most popular one and I used it for quite a while until the latest version that basically killed my internet connection.

I'm currently using Sygate which has now been taken over by the one and only Symantec! (you couldn't even make it up could you!)

You can get a older version from oldversion.com

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello Zeus GB.... It has been awhile, and you have better things to do, but I promised an update. I sincerely appreciate your past support and recommendations.

I have completed, mostly, the GTG recommendations listed under "Start Here" for Malware removal help and posted an HJT log, w/ other scan results requested, today. I have been out of town and otherwise tied up w/ company business the last few weeks so it took me longer than I initially expected. Have to make a living and feed the kids.

Anyway, I am holding off on making any security, AV softwre, et al, changes to my PC until I have heard from and completed my GTG counsellors recommendations, TBA since just posted.

You noted appreciation once before for my update, since you mentioned such is uncommon. If you wish no future updates let me know. Otherwise I will post again here w/ final results.

Again, sincere thanks for your help. You, and folks like you, are truly appreciated.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You may want to look at running this when the PC is running correctly

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I hope you update us when you decide what is best for you. I am curious to know what your conclusion is, and why you chose the product you will eventually pick. (I know that is a horrible sentence, but I'm tired tonight!)

Make sure you select a reputable third party firewall, even on dial up. XP's built in firewall is like Swiss cheese. I use the NIS package, and the most bother I've ever had was a few tracking cookies from going to sites that are giving other people fits, trying to figure out why. In the last 5 years, I have had no viruses, trojans, spyware etc on my personal computer. My kids' computer (sigh) is another story entirely. Even Norton will allow the stuff in, if you accept it.

Johanna