Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Somebody tell me?

• Please log in to reply

ganster

ganster

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Anybody no how to put a fax service on a pc /laptop i dont have a modem, im on broadband any free programs out there i dont want to suscribe to a service with faxing in mind
THanks
GANSTER

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I bought a H-P all in one printer just for that. On my network i can send any document, etc from any computer and have the printer fax it out. I dont even have to have the computers turned on to recieve faxes, the printer works by itself.

SRX660

ganster

ganster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
As you say your hp does it all
but i want to vet all incoming before the printer gets hold and copys them
I do not want junk faxes i would like to see them first then send them to the printer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
any free internet fax service is going to dump a crapload of ads on your faxes--maybe on incoming stuff you don't care, but on ongoing stuff it is going to look unprofessional

Why not buy a $7 modem and just use the Windows fax service that is built in?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

any free internet fax service is going to dump a crapload of ads on your faxes--maybe on incoming stuff you don't care, but on ongoing stuff it is going to look unprofessional

Why not buy a $7 modem and just use the Windows fax service that is built in?

seconded....you could even get an external usb modem if you don't feel like opening the case up

ganster

ganster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
does that mean with a usb modem or maybe on my laptop there is a modem in it
remember i am on broadband no dial up and i am wireless

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if your laptop has a modem built in...then you will see a jack that looks like a phone jack in the back or on the side of the laptop...if you do have such a port...let us know and we can help you setup the faxing services....you do not need a dialup account to use a fax...all you need is a phone line

ganster

ganster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
yes it does have a modem then built in
i would like my laptop to work wirelessley as the telephone point is to far away and alot of messing around with leads
cheers
ganster

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that's not going to happen...you cannot connect wirelessly from your modem to a telephone line -- at least not with anything I am familar with.

Looks like your back to a fax service

efax is probably the biggest, but the free service is receive only (no send)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.efax.com/...e?CMP=OTC-us_mi