Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Clock Always Wrong

• Please log in to reply

polling

polling

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
I have Windows XP and my clock in my System Bar is always wrong. I ran an Ewido scan ,Spybot, Adaware,C cleaner,Easy Cleaner all to no avail. Even after updating the Internet Server for the System Clock, the clock always end up going fast after a couple of minutes. Can someone please shed some light on this issue. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
have u tryed changing the system clock?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have 11 computer running. Out of the 11, 5 of them have clocks that are always a few minutes off. One older puter is way off. It loses 10 minutes per day. Most lose only a minute or less per day. I don't even bother with the clocks anymore. have the Xp puters check the time daily but other than that who cares. One of the XP puters always gets a "cant find server" error so when it gets way off i have to switch between ndis and microsoft servers to correct the time. I might do this every few months. I guess if i wanted to replace the cmos batterys it might help but the puters run and thats all i need.

SRX660

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You need to change the CMOS batteries in those computers. Losing time is a clear sign of a failing CMOS battery.

Fenor

polling

polling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Thanks for responding guys. Yes i have changed the system clock. I also will do some more research on the battery that i might need. Must admit though, i'm totally a novice about computers. Thanks again guys.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you take the side panel off of your computer case, you will see the CMOS battery clearly. It is shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel. You will see a clip on one of the sides. Push that clip in with your thumbnail and release it and you will notice the battery pop out a little bit (sometimes pops all the way out and hits the bottom of the case depending on how tight the clip holding it in is). You will then be able to grab it with your thumb and finger and remove it. Of course do all this with your computer off and the power cord unplugged from the back of your computer to be safe. Then take that battery to a local computer shop and they will get you the proper replacement.

Fenor