Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp update causes problem? Please Help

• Please log in to reply

trimtran20147

trimtran20147

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ewido and Adware SE wont update anymore. The internet still working. However, Explorer may get stuck in non-resposive mode if I have more than one instant. The first Explorer window always works when this symptom happens. Both of my laptop and desktop behaves the same way. LAptop is XP home but desktop is XP pro, both have SP2.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not a very clear description, I am afraid....

that said, if two systems are displaying the same symptom--inability to update something, I would tend toward the issue not being your PCs but the network.

Home or Work? Firewall? Perhaps just bad routes or internet congestion at the time you are trying.

trimtran20147

trimtran20147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
what happend first was I had 2 to 4 browser windows opened. Then one or two of them didnot respond. Only the first browser that opened first would still work. I then run ADware and Ewido to clean up. I did it in SAFEMODE too. But neither of these spyware program would connect to their network to update new file. It's been three days I could not do any update so I thought maybe there is a problem. Now I can open multiple browser without a problem but I can not still do any update with Ewido or Adware.IF you dont think there is any bug that cause it then I just have to wait until it works. Thanks. I actually have another question regarding a PC in my kid's room. It a Dell 6400 series with 2.8 MHz HT chip on. It comes with Norton Parental control. And my kids only go to cheat code websites for games or cartoon network. I clean it frequently with Ewido and Adware but it is so slow to do anything. I can see the desktop slowly repainting each icon every time. I turn off a bunch of thing in startup INI file and only leave Norton, Dell multimedia, and wireless USB to be on at startup but it does not help much either. Every click on the mouse just take 5-10 seconds before anything happens. Any suggestions?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, just updated adaware to see if it was a server issue and it worked just fine from here

So...firewall? Did someone, perhaps by accident, train your firewall to block these programs from the internet? What firewall do you have on this PC?

Kids PC

"...go to cheat code websites for games "

Cheat code websites are LOADED with unfriendly parasites. Adaware and ewido are good at catching things they know about, but not the newer malware threats

I see a trip to the malware forum (see link) in your NEAR future.

If they give you a clean bill of health, create a new thread in this section (windows xp/2000/nt) for this issue (but return to this thread for the original issue)