Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to Replace CPU ....What should I get?

• Please log in to reply

garpt

garpt

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi all.
I know O/C ing is not the specialrty of this forum, but there are too many knowledgeable peeps here not to ask this. I need to replace an Athlon 4400x2 processer, which I had O.C.'ed and running great at 2.66 GHZ on water. Crapped out on me. Temps were fine, low 40's under decent loads. An exact replacement will set me back about $502 at yesterday;'s best price. I have heard tremendous things about Opteron (sp.?) CPU's and their tremendous tweakability, and $$ value. Is there a comperable one that will O.C. between 2.6 and 2.8 and maybe save me some $$ in the process? Or, what would you highly recommend as an "upgrade" that would cost about the same? My MB is the Asus a8ns32-sli Premium.
THANKS!!! Gary

Edited by garpt, 10 May 2006 - 07:51 AM.

Advertisements

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
hmm... i have not dealt with Opterons myself but i have also heard very good things about them. however, i doubt that an Opteron would be any cheaper then the new 4400+ X2. may i suggest that you consider this 4400+ X2, for significantly cheaper then your 500 dollar X2?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103546

or you can get a faster X2 (4600+) for only about $50 more then the 4400+ you were going to get:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103545

garpt

garpt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hey dragon,
The 4600 I believe is a smaller cache (2x512mb) compared to the 4400 (2x1gb). I don't know if that's a biggie, but I can already tune my 4400 past 2.4ghz., and have a bigger cache as well. So I'd really have to jump to the 4800, to gain anything substantial, then we're at big bucks........so comes my question about the opteron series.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
It all depends what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to spend. If you want extreme performance and have no budget go with the Pentium Extreme Edition or Pentium D at 3.8 GHz from intel. If you want an extreme gaming processor go with the AMD Athlon 64 FX processor. MY computer runs perfect with the Pentium Extreme Edition clocked at 4.26 GHz. It came standard on my Dell XPS 600 Renegade Limited

garpt

garpt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well, Anton, considering I can't use an Intel chip w/my motherboard and 939 socket, that rules pentium out. Since I'm an obvious Overclocker, I'd naturally be looking for performance. Single or dual core might be a point of discussion. An AMD CPU is, by design, a necessity.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I would recommend a dual core processor. They can execute processes up to 23% faster and the two processing cores can increase performance up to 17%. So yes I do recommend the dual core porcessor. Just make sure you get the appropriate power supply for the CPU and make sure your current graphics card, sound card, memory, hard drive, etc., etc. are compatible with the new CPU :whistling:

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
You can be just waisting your money though because it is proven that regular programs like MS Word or MS Excel do use the dual core power to start up faster, but games today don't use the dual core power to run faster and better, so if you are going to play a lot of games you don't need to get the dual core. But if you want performance get the dual core processor. As an example, I have the Pentium Extreme Edition clocked at 4.26GHz, the way my games perform hasn't changed from my old Pentium 4 w/HT tech. The only difference I can see is that it starts up in less than half the time. The only thing that changes the in game performance is the graphics card which is why I also got the Quad SLI 512MB nVidia GeForce 7900GTX with a total of 2GB of DDR3 memory:thumbsup:

Edited by Anton1382, 10 May 2006 - 07:15 PM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
anton1382 all garpt is asking for is some advice on upgrading his processor.

he has fried his chip and is wanting a replacement
he is asking about the AMD opertrons and what they are like for overclocking

he is not wanting to buy a new motherboard and processor he only wants to buy the processor alone
and of course the3 graghics card and yadda yadda are compatable that has more to do with the motherboard.

garpt
i have not used AMD opertrons before, currently i have a pentium 4 runing at 3.25 GHZ from 3.00 GHz
but i have heard that people overclock the opertrons quite a bit. they are stable and reliable but definatly go for the duel core its the new stuff and is definatly better performing
here is one i found on newegg
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103582
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103544

i havent been able to find that many opertrons but im sure there are more out there its just a matter of spending the time to look for them,
i hope this helps a little,
troppo

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I came across this website. Check it out. Has all sorts of AMD Opertrons. Nice pricing too. :whistling:

http://www.directron.com/opteron.html.

Hint:
Please not that motherboards meant for Antholon XP/MP processors are not with Opertrun. To run Opertrun, you need a motherboard meant specifically for Opertrun. The same goes for CPU coolers

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well im actually not sure about that from what i have heard they will fit into any socket 939 motherboards
they are pretty much the same chips as the X2's but the opertrons have a thicker silicon base
also from what i have read the compatabilty of the cpu depends on the bios coding not the board itself

i havent found any boards that are suited only to opertrons other than server boards that run 2 dual core opertrons

im pretty sure that any board will accept the opertrons as long as the board has socket 939 and is x2 or fx compatable, but i could be wrong remeber you are talking to two people that run intels there are people on this froum who run opertrons so maybe ask them that would be the better and probably final answer.
troppo

Advertisements

garpt

garpt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well, like Troppo, I've never heard of compatibility problems with opteron chips and ANY asus 939 socket MB w/ Nforce4 chipset. But now Anton has thrown a monkeywrench into my cpu shopping. Anton, do you have any proof of this issue or are you just blowin smoke like your power supply/ video card compatibility inaccuracies?

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
If you are an overclocker, I would recommend the Opteron 165 or if you have good cooling I would recommend the Pentium D 805, as TG OC'd one to 4.1 GHz (with water cooling) and 3.6 or .8 GHz with adequate air cooling.

garpt

garpt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
That sounds incredible, Colonel, but...once again,.......

[size=5]CAN'T USE PENTIUM CPU'S W/A SOCKET 939 M.B.!!!!!

Edited by garpt, 11 May 2006 - 09:25 AM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i havent heard of any issues of opertrons not fiting into socket 939 motherboards a socket is a socket
the compatabilty of proccesors are usually dependent on a few things but mainly the coding of the bios
nothing to do with the actual socket.

anton i think the reason why your are confusing yourself and definatly confusing garpt is because the link you provided had motherboards for opterons. but they are SERVER boards if you actually look close enough you will see that the board actually has 2 sockets to fit 2 opterons this is for server situations not general home use. sure you can use them at home but its highly expensive and pointless.

garpt have a look on www.newegg.com for opterons there isnt all that many that are dual core but i wouldnt take their word for it i was looking at their intel pentium extreme edition chips for myself and all of them said that they were single core even though i looked for my own proccesor and it is a dual core and they said it was a single core. so dont believe everything they say.

also there will be absoulutly no compatabilty issues with video cards or ram or your power supply
you will be able to keep everyting that you have from your original system but make sure when you change your processor you adjust the power rating to the processor to the opterons specs if not you could blown the new chip. now im not sure if the voltage is much different form the x2's but make sure you do that just to avoid frying the new chip and being an overclocker im sure you no how to do this.
hope that helped clear up any spanners in the works,
troppo

Edited by troppo, 12 May 2006 - 12:04 AM.

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
THAT IS A [bleep] OF A COMPUTER YOU HAV GOING, Anton1382!! how much did that monster cost to build up like that???

anyway, dual core is better for multitasking but does no benifit and can actually hurt gaming performance (because games arent optimized for it yet).

depends on your budget and purpose, but i would probably go with the newegg 4400+ is showed you, as it is reasonabley priced and the same as you had before...