Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What do you think about this configuration?

• Please log in to reply

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
I would like to get a new system...but have a limited budget...I have put together some ideal parts...but the final cost is a little too much for me...does anyone have any other suggestions?

MidiTower ATX + 450 w

Asus K8NG - E DELUXE nForce 4x

CPU AMD ATHLON 64 x 2 Dual Core 3800+ sok 939

HD 300 GB MAXTOR IDE ULTRA DMA 7200 rpm ATA133

2 x 1024 mb RAM DRR Kingston

3D GEFORCE 6600 GT 256 mb DDR AGP

Logitech Cordless desktop (Optical Black)

Dvd - rom 16x52x IDE bulk black

19" LCD LG L19175

Total cost: 1463 euros... I can spend 1000 - 1100.... :help: any help? Maybe some of these parts don't fit together very well...I just chose what sounded good :blink:

I know for a fact that the CPU is good :whistling: and the ram...and the video card is acceptable...since i dont need a heavy gaming platform...

Edited by MaverickSidewinder, 10 May 2006 - 07:55 AM.

Advertisements

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
the fact that the X2 3800+ has that rating throws people off. if you do a little research it is clear that, though it is not a crappy processor by any means, it does not do best for gaming. so, if you are going to be gaming i would suggest a Athlon 64 3700+ or at least a 4200+ X2. since you want to bump the price down a bit, a 3700+ Athlon 64 (Toledo, i think the core is called?) is a bit cheaper as well and would yeiled better performance, unless you do a lot of multitasking. adn a DVD+/-RW drive would be nice, too. those are becoming more and more a standard for new machines and are darn usefull. and i would also go with a power supply with at least 500-watts. too often people skimp on the PSU and then wonder why they have instability.

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Oh ok...so you suggest a single core like the Toledo?

And atleast a 500 w

gotchya :whistling:

Thanks for the reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Toledo is the expensive dual core, san diego is the good single you are thinking of, but i would go for the 3800+ the 3700+ is technically better but the cpu isnt the main factor and single core performance is more than adequate for any game on the 3800+ and the extra core is something thats handy to have.

Gfx i wouldnt get a 6600GT overpriced under performing not good cards especially since the 7600gt is about the same price but if you dont game then maybe a cheaper gfx card is better, x700 would be allright usually go for less than a 6600GT (under £100 here) and they are the same if not better performance wise.

If you want to cut the price then a 3200+ venice is an allright cpu its a good stepping stone to a better chip and they are more than fast enough for most people even if they are a heavy gamer.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
AGP on a 939 ???? u crazy ....???get PCi-exp u wont regret. Also dont get a IDE HD ..getSATA

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Thanks for the replies... :whistling:

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Get a different motherboard and get a PCI-E card but I would wait for the directx 10 graphics cards which are due out soon. If your low on money I would get a single core athlon, They are better for gaming at the moment.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Also wait until Windows Vista comes out so your system's OS will not go out of date fast. I think the graphics card is fine, What about a sound card? If you haven't chosen one yet, I recommend the Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, or you can take it up a notch to a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtrememusic. I currently have a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty which is an awesome sound card (too bad it costs around $280). The sound card really brings my games and music to life. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Windows Vista doesnt come out for at least another 7 months so we arent quite at the wait for it stage.

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
I've heard bad things about it...memory hogger and 100% anti pirating stuff...

I mean...I dont pirate software...but downloading music has become a habit :whistling:

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
OOPS! sorry, i get a bit confused with all the differant AMD core types, as i am generally an intel guy :whistling: yes san diego is what i was thinking of.

as far as Windows Vista, i would not center biulding a new PC around it. it would not be wise to purchase Vista until at least Service Pack 2 anyways, because the first wave of Vista customers buying the first batch of Vista disks will be more like the second stage beta testers, LOL. MS has improved its products' needs for service packs and patches (win98 had like 6, 2k pro had 4, xp sp3 will most likely be the final service pack, etc), but their products arent yet perfected and bug-free. and who can expect them to be? overworked, underpaid programmers, and software with billions upon billions of lines of code? cant expect they wont miss an error here and there. anyway, bottom line, dont center the biulding of a new PC around Windows Vista, as Vista wont be "securely" useable for a couple more years.

you know what? MS is too darn impatient to get their products out and then make a new replacement within a couple years. they are already working on project "blackcomb", which is the Windows version for 2009/2010. and Vista hasent even hit the shelves yet...

http://software.sili...39155821,00.htm

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The coders at MS are far from over worked or under payed, they get really good wages and they arent quite google but working environment is good. Vista has one of the largest beta groups of any of the windows OSes and Vista is the longest os in development by MS it should be pretty allright when its released.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Well I would wait for DX10 to come out the last thing you want to do is to buy something then get outdated. When the DX10 games come out you will be regreting it.