Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Build Issues

• Please log in to reply

basketball346

basketball346

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi all,

I just recently replaced my old OEM IBM motherboard and processor. I jumped from a 1.8Ghz pentium 4 to a 3.0Ghz pentium 4. I installed a gig of corsair ram, and the motherboard is Gigabyte brand (dont have the exact board here while i'm at school). Also installed an x850xt pe agp card (i know agp is going out but i dont want to lose this card yet). The problem is when i was booting the system i would get to the bios and then the computer would restart. AFter about 3 hours i finally got into the system and began updating drivers for my graphics card, and running windows update. The computer restarted on me close to 15 times, whenever i'd load a driver cd and the computer was "processing" alot of information. I finally got all the drivers installed and it seems to be stable now.

The problem is i would think i could run F.E.A.R or Half Life 2 at relatively high settings with this set up. The game still stutters a little bit. I did a repair install of windows xp pro. Any one have any idea what might be causing the stutter during these 2 games?

Thanks for your help. Also does any one have any idea why my computer was restarting soo much when trying to install the drivers? This drove me nutz and although its fixed, i would like to trouble shoot the cause.

Advertisements

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Sorry here are my specs.

Lga 775 Pentium 4 3Ghz
Gigabyte p846 mobo (i believe is the correct number)
2 X 512 Corsair ram
Win XP Pro
40 gig hd (new 80 gig will be going in soon)
Radeon x850xt pe
Just4PC Tower with 450 watt psu
Audigy Soundblaster 2z

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
How much memory does the graphics card support. 64MB, 128MB, 256MB 512MB?? Also, do you have the most recent drivers for your graphics card?

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Windows is an unstable OS. When installing too many drivers that take up a lot of memory at once it tends to want to shut down to clear all of this info. It's like when you learn to much at one time. You just want t to sit down and rest and CLEAR your mind. The best thing to do is install one update at a time and restart after each update. If this still doesn't work, I recommend you call the computer manufacturer. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
^^^ What are you on about ^^^

Have you tried or new build guide its good for narrowing down possible problems, initially its hard to tell without some basic testing but the only thing that leaps out is the PSU might be a generic and your system uses alot of power this might be the problem.

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I think i finally solved the mystery. I think it wasnt stable because i didnt upgrade the BIOS right away , and i also didnt install the chipset drivers correctly. It seems to be plenty stable now. Now off to format the new HD and reinstall windows AGAIN. I'm thinking of using my old 40 gig drive to run linux. I was looking into suse....any one have any suggestions for a "beginner" of linux. I've only ever used the knoppix live cd, let me know your thoughts on any linux distro.

Thanks Guys,

Michael

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I like ubuntu and slax but i dont use linux alot, i miss windows to much linux is good but ive never felt it was worth the hassle and i cant just turn on CS for half an hour with linux youve got to reboot and use windows which always bugged me.

But Ubuntu is very good for beginers.