Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSN Video

• Please log in to reply

skmaresh

skmaresh

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I cannot launch MSN Video - up until last Friday May 5 I could watch videos from MSNBC and Today Show with no problem (video news clips and interviews from their show that were posted on their websites).
I select the video from MSNBC or Today and the video.msn.com window pops up and says it is loading but it does nothing. In the lower left corner is the yellow error triangle and it says Done, and then Error On Page.
I can, however, launch news videos from CBS.com and WCCO.com with no problem.
I have not made any changes to settings or changed any software.
WHAT HAS HAPPENED THAT THE VIDEOS DO NOT LOAD AND LAUNCH? WHAT CAN I DO?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do you have a firewall? Can you disable it/turn it off?

skmaresh

skmaresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have eTrust Personal Firewall. I have disabled it and still cannot load and launch videos from the MSN video site.

skmaresh

skmaresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
1. How do I check if Port 80 is open on my system?

2. If it is not, how do I open it?

I am having trouble w/MSN Video loading and launching videos and one of the troubleshooting points is to be sure Port 80 is open.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
merged your two topics because they are about the same thing...please don't start a new topic when it's about the same issue as one you already have open

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if your seeing this page, port 80 is open.

Port 80 is the port used by your webbrowser.

It is not, however, the one used by streaming video, which is why I asked about the firewall.

Streaming video can use different ports depending on the session--well, actually, it talks to the sending server on port 80 (but not always) and receives the video on another port)

For example, I just did a video from cbs news and it requested the video on port 80 and received it on port 4055

a different video request was made via port 80, but came in on port 5091

I note that CBS used realvideo or windows media player

msnbc used only windows media player.

Any change you are using realplayer for one and wmp for another?

skmaresh

skmaresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just went to CBS News and choose WMP to be sure it loaded & launched and it did. Have you tried playing a video from MSNBC, or Today? Any way I can change from WMP to Real on those sites - maybe there is a problem with their sites and not me (???)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
MSNBC is using ports 554 incoming and outgoing port 4353

skmaresh

skmaresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So, is there someway I check to see if there is a problem with those ports on my system? Can you tell me anything else I can check?

Apparently you were able to load and launch videos from http://video.msn.com which is the window that pops up when I try to load and launch and can't?

Why would I have been able to launch from those sites with no problems for months and then all of a sudden can't?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
to answer that, I would need to be sitting there looking at your machine.

when the window popsup and it says it is loading, and nothing happens, what is in the window?

Can we get a screen shot?

You say you have done nothing new...are you sure?

double click the yellow triangle....does it give you a message?

skmaresh

skmaresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I doubleclick the yellow triangle I get: Problems with this Web page might prevent it from displaying properly or functioning properly".
Line: 540
Char: 19597
Error: 'blockedReferrer' is undefined

and then it has a huge, very long URL

Yes, I am positive I have not done anything differently.

When the window pops up and says in the upper left hand corner that it is loading the window area is blank white where the video screen and selections should be.

skmaresh

skmaresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Can anyone help me out with this problem? I have tried everything I can think of. Thank you.

bongeaux

bongeaux

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I get the same thing. It happens in both IE6 and IE7beta. I have seen this error discussed on other sites but no solution. If you have one or I find one I will post.

righthandofevil

righthandofevil

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i am using zone alarm and i had to go in the privacy tab and turn off cookie control pop up blocker and mobile code control. Soon as i did that msn video would load and play and it would also allow windows update to work so check your firewall settings

dcuts

dcuts

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had the same problem with msn video for a while now and I think I just fixed it. I believe you stated you used etrust antivirus. I have the same and so I figured that must be the culprit. If you open the personal firewall in etrust then click the tab on the left titled 'security' you will find a list of recently visited sites and their security settings. Click the Add button in the lower right of the page and type in the URL field "www.video.msn.com". After clicking OK find the URl in the site list. There will be 3 green check marks and 2 red x's. Click the red x's and select a check mark instead. Close out and see if you have success.
:whistling: