Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

twotone siren

• Please log in to reply

cookiedog45

cookiedog45

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi I am new here hope i am doing this right
I am putting together a barebones system from tiger direct.

abit 8ax mother board athlon 64 3200+ cpu
i have one stick of ddr memory 512 meg 400 installedany
this board has ugru and a onboard display for post codes (and the special ac2003 prepost)
goes through the prepost and stops at 9.0 which acording to the book that is when the award bios is to take
over the boot proccess. after it gets this far it starts a twotone siren sound through speaker.
nothing about it in the book not a normal beep code.
done some research on internet and found that it was said to be a warning of tempuatre to high or wrong voltages.
since part of the prepost on this board verfiys the volatges I dont think it is a voltag eproblem.
I removed the board from the chassis and put on bench to make sure no shorts or grounds.
did not help same problem. check power supply with antech ps checker showed fine
installed a post board in pci slot get code ff (acorrding to the post code board book thats a bad procceser)
however acording to award bios chart in abit mother board book that is a boot attempt (int19h)
I do not have any onboard graphics I orginaly tryed to start up with a new ati pciexpress card installed.
but after the siren I switched to a pci ati card to try. I had a sata hd installed no os
but after siren went to just the board cpu and memory. still twotone siren after the 9.0 few seconds after.
I even tried to start it up with just the board on bench and cpu and ps no memory installed.
thought I would at least get a different sound. went to abit site no help
I dont know what version bios I have becaus I have not got that far as it has no display just continous twosiren sound.
anbody know what to try? or heard of this before?
I have no other memory to try or processer or mobo.
sorry about the lenght of post

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If it is not a voltage problem then it is your processor getting hot too fast. Check to see if the heatsink is mounted properly and the right amount of thermal paste was used( it takes less than the size of a BB( of BBgun fame)and must be spread out evenly with a sandwich baggy over your fingertip. Do you have the heatsink fan connected?

I have been reading that Abit boards can have problems with the bios and hard drives also. You might try using a ATA hard drive to see if it will boot without the siren sound.

If none of this works i would RM( return merchandise) the motherboard for a replacement.

SRX660