Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox/IE unable to load links for host servers

• Please log in to reply

zoop

zoop

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello,

I have been trying to load links from a website, for eg., www.fatwallet.com, to get to a company's website which I understand go through host servers (such as: click.linksynergy.com or www.qksrv.com), but I get an error display either on Firefox or IE, that the connection cannot be established. After some discussion with my friends, I was asked to check my host files and to put a comment in front of the host server address if it appears in the host file. I have tried that already, and it worked fine for a while but doesn't work anymore. I don't have a firewall at this point. I tried turning off the TeaTimer, Spysweeper etc. but apparently nothing works and I continue to get the message "problem in establishing a connection"

Please help,
thank you so much.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
A lot of these things move from host server to host server

Just as a test, try moving your HOST file out of the
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

directory for a moment

Does the problem persist? If not, the website has moved and you will need to find what server it now resides on and comment that line as well

zoop

zoop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your reply :-)

My host file has been on my desktop for quite sometime as I had moved it from it's original location. I started the #commenting# procedure only after I had moved it to the desktop. Would you want me to move it back to the Windows/system32?

As far the host servers are concerned, I think it's still the same, because when Firefox tries to go through those host servers, it correctly identifies the server and displays the name/address if it cannot establish a connection. And I am saying it based on my experience with fatwallet.com, the example that I mentioned in my original email.

Please advise :whistling:
thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if your host file is on you rdesktop, it is no longer in use.

The host file must be in the
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

location for Windows to use it

(or am I misreading you?)

zoop

zoop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
whoops!!..

you absolutely didn't misread me..

Stupid me.. :blink: I made a copy of the Hosts file and put it on my desktop.. and continued to comment in that file. Obviously, the one in the windows/system32 wasn't changing at all.. Anyway, I just figured out that the original file is still in the /../../etc directory, (and guess what.. I missed the etc dir last time) without any comments in it. :help:

Although the interesting and the mysterious part is that it has worked the last few times when I put comments in the file that was on my desktop.. and I don't know how and why..

O well, all is well that ends well

thanks a lot for your help
:whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
odd, the desktop hosts file should have no effect

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you might consider using something like hosts manager

http://www.majorgeek...ager_d4568.html

you can edit the host file without going digging for it and leaving it in place

zoop

zoop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you once again, it's a very handy tool.

:whistling: