Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Dimension 4700 in Hibernation Mode

• Please log in to reply

LeslieJoy

LeslieJoy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP. I run spyware programs and antivirus programs pretty frequently.

My computer was on the other day and working well. When I went to use it later that day, the computer was "frozen". It didn't respond to anything (moving mouse, clicking keyboard, control-alt-delete, pressing button to turn it off, etc.) I finally unplugged it.

Ever since, the green light on the front blinks when I plug it back in but nothing else happens. Have left it unplugged for 12 hours now and again when I plug it in, the green light blinks.

Anyone have any suggestions? I notified Dell, but my service expired in September. :whistling:

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-LeslieJoy - [Dell Dimension 4700 Blinking Green Light]
10th May 2006

Hello – LeslieJoy – Welcome to – Geeks to Go –

Here is a – Advanced Troubleshooting Guide – for Dell Dimension 4700 -
http://www.webmadeea...al/adtshoot.htm

Main page – Index page – Dell Dimension 4700 Service Manual -
http://www.webmadeea...anual/index.htm

This should get you started –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 10 May 2006 - 01:34 PM.

LeslieJoy

LeslieJoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

01-LeslieJoy - [Dell Dimension 4700 Blinking Green Light]
10th May 2006

Hello – LeslieJoy – Welcome to – Geeks to Go –

Here is a – Advanced Troubleshooting Guide – for Dell Dimension 4700 -
http://www.webmadeea...al/adtshoot.htm

Main page – Index page – Dell Dimension 4700 Service Manual -
http://www.webmadeea...anual/index.htm

This should get you started –

Jack123

Thanks Jack. I'll be away this weekend, but will take off the cover and check the diagnostic lights when I get back. This happened once before and we left the computer off for about a week. It then started up again and worked until yesterday when the same type thing happened. Thanks for the links and for responding.

LeslieJoy

LeslieJoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. I'm back. I checked out the diagnostic lights and all of them are off.

The manual says that the computer is either in standby or off mode OR has a PRE BIOS FAILURE.

It doesnt' tell you what to do with a pre bios failure except to contact Dell.

Anyone know anything about this??

Thanks. :whistling:

startechie

startechie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
alot of times while working for dell we had simalar issues. usually with a flashing green light it was the system in s3 mode. pushing and holding in the power button for around 10 seconds would shut down the pc. A no POST/VIDEO issue usually had a flashing yellow light and sometimes a solid yellow light. there should be a jumper on the mb to reset the bios configuration and esrd (allso known as nonvolital ram or nvram).
You can try unpluging the power, opening the case, make sure you are grounded, or touch the metal frame while on the kitchen floor..(no carpet). reseat the cpu.

bladesofsteel

bladesofsteel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
LeslieJoy--

Did you ever find the solution? My Dad is having the exact same problem with his 4700.

Thanks...

Edited by bladesofsteel, 10 July 2008 - 07:45 PM.