Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win 2k loading Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply

hackergal

hackergal

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have been updating clients pc's (Windows 2000 SP4) from the Antispyware to the Defender. In most cases I just need the GDI file into the \winnt\system32 folder and then the Defender installs 100%. I am now struggling with one machine, same spec, same OS but I get the message: Windows Defender requires windows installer 3.1 or later. To view a list ......... and the link is the same one that take you to the GDI help files. I googled it and only came up with one reply from a place where you have to pay to see any replies to the question.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so has anybody worked out what the heck is going on. This particular client loves his Windows 2000 but he also wants all the latest bells and whistles out there. A far cry from my pc running Vista!!!!

Thanks guys and any input will be much appreciated!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you tried reinstalling windows installer 3?

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

hackergal

hackergal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for a very quick response! No, I did not try that so I have to go there tomorrow first thing and I will definitely try it!!!!

hackergal

hackergal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
OK Gerryf I did that and it's made no difference. I also have a Win2k pc here in my office that I use now and again and I see it is also giving me the same message. It also has SP4. Now I am really not sure how to get the Defender onto this client's machine.