Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer help?

• Please log in to reply

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Can anyone help me set up my computers so they both print to the same printer?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What have you done so far?

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I setup the router so both computers have internet access. Other than that, I don't know what else has to be done. All I want is to setup the computers so they both print to the same printer, and also be able to transfer files between the two, if that can be done. Could you please help me?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, my network places, set up a home network, you need the XP CD, both machines on and connected, check the firewall allows sharing, eg Zone Alarm will only allow this for connections in the trusted zone

[attachment=8362:attachment]

It's fairly straight forward

Create a folder in each PC, called whatever A and whatever B, right click each, click sharing and security, tick share this folder and allow network users to change my files, click apply

[attachment=8363:attachment]

Let me know when that is done

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Done

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, printers and faxes, right click the printer, click share this printer so you get an hand

[attachment=8365:attachment]

On the other PC, click start, printers and faxes, click add a printer

Click next on the wizard, put the dot in network printer, click next, with the dot in browse for printer, click next, double click MSHOME if that is the name of the network, you should see the printer, click it to highlight, click next, confirm and so on, you should get the printer with an bar underneath

XP will likely install the drivers, it will ask you to confirm this

Let me know if it goes any differently

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
It almost worked. When it goes to install the drivers it comes up with an error. "The server for the 'Lexmark 3100 Series' printer does not have the correct driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network administrator or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver. " I have CD if I need it but I don't know what to do it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Set a restore point on the other PC

Install the printer driver from the CD, hopefully when you load the lexmark CD it will have a custom install option, just load the driver

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I tried to use the CD but it doesn't give me achoice as far as what i'm intalling. It just says it can't go throught the installation because the wires arn't connected. Basically it doens't recognize the printer so it wont continue.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What do you get if you try to transfer a document from one PC to the other

Advertisements

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
What do you mean? If I put it in the folder and open it on the other copmuter?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get Synctoy from my signature, create a folder pair, left folder on the left PC, right folder on the right PC, using the folders you created, which should have a hand underneath them, put an image in one folder, click run on synctoy

[attachment=8366:attachment]

If it won't run, the firewall may be blocking it

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
The folders work fine, but its the printer I still need to fix. Is there a way to fix the driver on the main computer that way it won't be corrupted and the other computer will recognize it and install.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the printer work on the PC it is connected to?

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Yes