Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random crashing and freezing

• Please log in to reply

LouiseMorris

LouiseMorris

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well yea like the title says, my computer always randomly crashes and freezes. Usually when i start it up, it will crash maybe 6-7 times then start running normally. But it still randomly shuts down or freezes even as well after it starts to work. I'm pretty sure its not the HD overheating from the fan, so any other ideas?
If it matters i use Windoze XP, hope sum1 can help me or i'm probually goin to use a big hammer on my computer :whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, first of all, you should get windows xp--windoze xp is just a cheap knock-off

I'd bet a dollar it is the power supply by your description

LouiseMorris

LouiseMorris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Heh i nevr liked windows anyways... i really should switch to linux but i r 2 nub :whistling:

Umm and wut should i do about the power supply, simple small words plz :help: ,i'm not at my best with such little sleep :blink:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, as a test. drop in another one. A power supply is held to the case with 4 screws. It is connected to the motherboard with 1 or two plastic plugs (molexes) that have a small latch on it so be careful while removing.

It is connected to drives by 4-pin molexes

I have a known good power supply that I carry with me when on jobs...you can unplug the the power supply in teh case and connect teh one outside the case without ever removing the old one while testing to make sure that is the issue....got write up a guide for this one of these days...

LouiseMorris

LouiseMorris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My computer is pretty old so power supply problems fits :whistling:
Thanks, i'll try that out and fingers crossed it will work.