Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turning Off "Hardware Acceleration"

• Please log in to reply

Dark-One

Dark-One

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
When go to Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot
The Hardware Acceleration properties are there.

My problem is, when I set Hardware Acceleration to "NONE" and then click "Apply" my computer just restarts, (after Windows Logo, it freezes sort of for like 5-10mins and boot up) but the settings is not saved the Hardware Acceleration is still set to "FULL" I tried twice and twice when I clicked "Apply" it restarted, anyone know a program or some other way I can try to set it to "NONE" ?
Also the only weird thing in the Event Viewer was
Event ID: 6009
Description: Microsoft ® Windows ® 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 2 Uniprocessor Free.

Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
uhm, why do you want to turn it off?

Dark-One

Dark-One

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I heard it is better to turn it off.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
I would highly recomend that you leave it on. All most all 3D applications use hardware acceleration. Turning it off would really slow your computer down.

Where did you hear this?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hardware acceleration should only be lowered of turned off for troubleshooting purposes or if your having specific graphics related problems.

As for your event in the event logs which log was it in? what was the source? and what does it say?

Dark-One

Dark-One

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The problem was sometimes MPC lags when playing something it's really annoying and I heard it can effect it.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
MPC?
Hardware acceleration can affect performance, turning it off would slow your graphics card down.