Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Message interface error

• Please log in to reply

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Good Evening,
We have an issue where a very large amount of data (1000 megs and 756 megs) was attempted to be sent via email. Now those emails are stuck in our outlook outbox as are any emails that are sent now. we can not send or receive. I have tried the fixes in outlook help but it does not seem to be working. The emails were sent in error after running a zip program. Any ideas on how to remove them and get outlook up again? Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hi chrisw1100,

Try this, it should fix your problem. :whistling:
  • Open Outlook.
  • On the File menu select Work Offline. (This will stop Outlook from trying to send emails while you complete this fix)
  • On the Tools menu select Mailbox Cleanup.
  • A dialog box will open, ensure that the radio button on Find Items larger than is checked.
  • Change the 250kb to 900kb and click the Find button. This will list all messages that are over 900kb from all of your folders so be carefull what you are about to delete.
  • Select the messages that are causing problems and press the Delete key. When it prompts you to permanently delete the selected items, click Yes.
  • On the File menu uncheck Work Offline. (This will enable Outlook to send emails again.)
HTH
Octagonal

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
thank you for the help. I did the steps but it will not let me delete them on the search screen. It gives me the same message interface error. Any idea what to do now :whistling:

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
chrisw1100,

Hmm... I haven't seen that problem before when running Mailbox Cleanup.

I'll have a look around and see what I can find and get back to you with results.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
chrisw1100,

Can't seem to find anything. Have you tried moving the emails?

If not try:
  • On the File menu select Work Offline
  • Create a new folder in the Inbox folder, name it whatever you wish.
  • Go to the Outbox folder and highlight the emails that are give you problems.
  • Right click and select Move to Folder.
  • Choose the folder that you created in the dialog box and click enter.
  • Emails should now be moved.
  • On the File menu deselect Work Offline.
Let me know how that goes.

:whistling:

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks again. I tried that as well but I get the same error .. Some form of Message interface error. The only other option I can think of would be to reinstall it.

Edited by chrisw1100, 11 May 2006 - 05:47 PM.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hi chrisw1100,

Could you please upload a copy of the error.

When the error presents itself, press Alt + Print Screen this will save a copy of the error dialog box. Open Word and then click Paste. Save the file as error.doc, then attach the file to your next post.

Thanks
Octagonal

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Here ya go. Thanks again.

Attached Files

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hello chrisw1100,

Ok, it looks like a generic interface error. From what I can find out this problem seems to be a real show stopper for Outlook. Can I suggest one more thing. Try creating a new .pst file for your profile, a .pst file is where the Outlook folder data is stored.

Version 2003 http://support.micro....com/kb/829971/
Version 2002 http://support.micro...om/?kbid=286146

Before you perform the above action, may I suggest that you back up your existing .pst file to another location.

The default location for the .pst file is C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

If you are unable to locate your PST file in the default location for your Operating System:
  • Open Microsoft Outlook
  • Select View then Go to and choose Outlook Today
  • Select File point to Folder and click Properties for Personal Folders
  • Click the Advanced button
  • The location of your PST is listed in the Path box
Unless someone has an alternative solution, if all else fails a re-install of Outlook may be required.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help. :whistling:

Octagonal

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hey you did just fine. I know sometimes comps are like cars you just have to start over. I will give these a shot and if not reinstall. I just did not want to redo all that data. Again I thank you for your help and time you guys are always great.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Just remember to take the time to make a copy of your original.pst file. Then whichever way you choose to go you will have that copy in case you find another solution.

Good Luck
Octagonal