Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Restarts & BSODs

• Please log in to reply

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I'm having some major problems with my PC (self-built). I'm getting many restarts and BSODs. I have some dump files that I can include if somebody would like. I've finally narrowed it down to hardware, because sometimes it doesn't start properly, and it malfunctions in Linux as well (freezes or restarts). I can't even name all the BSOD STOP codes, but some include 0x0A, 0x50, 0x7E, 0xBE, 0xD1, 0x24, etc. Edit: No drivers are listed with the BSODs.

When it first started, I put in a different power supply (currently Aspire 500w, replacement: Rosewill 400w) and it did the same thing, but I may try again this weekend if I find some spare time. I tested RAM (failed on one LRAM test one pass, but 9 other passes found nothing), reseated it, put one stick in, then the other, all to no avail.

I finally got some motherboard beeps:
__ _ _ pause __ _______ (length shows approx. length of beep). I believe it is Award BIOS, and 1 long 2 short (first series) is a video adapter failure. The only problem is that I don't have an AGP card to test.

Motherboard: Chaintech MPM 800
BIOS: Award
Graphics: Integrated
CPU: Celeron D 330
Cooling: Stock

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Sorry if this should be in the XP forum, but it seems hardware-related.

PS: It's good to be back. :whistling: I hope to come back fully during the summer.

Edited by Pi rules, 10 May 2006 - 08:42 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would suggest that you try resetting the computer's BIOS. Please do the following:
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST five minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or the DEL key to enter SETUP. Do so and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup.

Fenor

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Thanks, Fenor.

I just pulled out the jumper and set it to clear CMOS (the jumper is very poorly placed on this motherboard). Cleared it, set the date and all my usual settings, saved changes...

Once I restarted, it started booting XP and restarted several times after starting to boot XP, finally, it booted.

PS: I doubt it is overheating; I have 5 case fans (2 front intake, one CPU exhaust, 1 rear exhaust, 1 top exhaust), and I just cleaned the dust out a while ago.

Edited by Pi rules, 10 May 2006 - 07:23 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does it reboot when you get into Safe Mode?

Fenor

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
It reboots while starting (before loading GRUB and booting OS), and in Linux, but I haven't had time to try out Safe Mode. I'm assuming it would, though.

I'll try it if I have time, but it won't be tomorrow (hopefully Friday).

Thanks! :whistling:

Edit: just noticed I can't spell random (original title), sorry.

Edited by Pi rules, 10 May 2006 - 08:42 PM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I just got a BSOD with pci.sys listed. Before that, I had a system error that stated the graphics (integrated) caused a system error. Looks like a motherboard failure, right?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Pi_rules

Given the diversity of BSODs/STOP errors that you are getting, I think the first thing to test is the RAM.

Download memtest86+ from this link :
http://www.memtest86.com/#download0

Get the 'v3.2 for Windows & DOS' version. Extract the files & run the install.bat file to create a bootable floppy disk containing memtest.
Boot from the floppy & let memtest run. It may take some time (i.e several hours depending on the amount of ram you have).

If memtest says all tests have passed OK, then we can assume that something else is causing your problem.

BTW. If you have more than one stick of ram in the system & memtest finds faults, then you will need to test the memory modules individually (i.e remove all modules except one, then test. Repeat for remaining modules), in order to determine which is the faulty one.

Let me know how you get on.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I ran Windows Memory Test a week ago and it failed LRAND on one pass, but the other 3 passes were OK, later I ran 9 passes that were OK. memtest didn't show any errors. So, I took out one stick, didn't work, so I put in the other one, and it still didn't work. So, I don't think it's the RAM, but I'll run more tests. You can expect they were OK unless I say otherwise.

Thanks. :whistling:

Edit: I forgot to mention that I ran WD Lifeguard diagnostics and both of my HDDs checked out fine. I also ran various CPU burn-in tests to try to rule out CPU overheating, and they ran without making my computer restart.

Edited by Pi rules, 12 May 2006 - 07:53 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

If the system ram checks out, then I was going to suggest that the problem may be the VRAM. However, as you have onboard video, then the video ram IS the system ram, right? I'm not certain whether any of these memory diagnostics test ram thats been allocated to the video card. It may be worth setting the size of the video ram to the smallest possible amount, then testing again.

You said that you've tried booting with each of the memory modules installed individually but it still didn't work. Before running memtest again, remove the second module but place the remaining module in the second slot. Sometimes memory problems occur not because of a faulty module but because of a faulty slot.

Have you overclocked the cpu and/or ram at all? Have you checked the voltages (i.e vcore voltage etc)? Have you had these right from the start (i.e from when you first built the system) or have they just started recently?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
They were OC'ed a while ago, but I put it back to the default before the majority of the problems occurred. I have had very intermittent BSODs since I built my computer, but lately they have been getting much worse. It took me 4 tries to get it to start, then got a 0xD1 with ACPI.sys listed twice. I have to work soon, but I'll try whatever tests I can.

I might try to get some cheap graphics card, but I either have to pay twice as much to get one in a retail store or wait until Thurs. or later to get one from Newegg. Anyway, I'm starting to plan my next computer now instead of in the summer.

Thanks.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Just a quick update:
I've pretty much narrowed it down to the motherboard. So, I'm building a new PC (which wil hopefully be smooth) and I'll get an RMA for the motherboard, wait a month, and try it again.

Thanks for your suggestions. :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Let us know how you get on :whistling:

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Sorry for not updating sooner. I was busy for a while. I did build a new computer:
Pentium D 930, Gigabyte GA-8I945PL-G, Sapphire Radeon X1300PRO, Aspire X-Dreamer II, Aspire 500 watt PSU, LG DVD-RAM, 2x512 Corsair DDR2

It works great! :whistling:

However, I found out that my old motherboard isn't under warranty any more, though. I may just get a new one off newegg or something to try and maybe see if someone wants to buy it.

School is almost over, so I may be able to start trying to help out around here again or maybe rejoin GeekU if possible. I don't recognize everyone (and doubt many remember me), however.