Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics help

• Please log in to reply

mmbundock

mmbundock

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well Since a couple days ago the computer was running fine. But When I tried to delete the prosess (I forget) But it had to do with Mcafee. When I tried, the computer COMPLETLY froze. I had to restart. So when I restarted, the display all ALL messed up. So when I did Right click>properties>Settings it was on the lowest qualities. So I truned it up! But it just reset it's self to low quality. So that wasn't good. I went to go reinstall my graphics card driver, it gave me this warning that it was not tested for windows XP.(this is Nvidia 5500FX BTW) So I ignored that and continued on. After I restarted, the screen didn't even go on. So now, somehow I got it to work. But it keeps on saying that the driver was not compatible with windows XP even though it is. I think. (when you go to the nvidia site and download driver page it is Graphics driver>Geforce and TNT 2>WIN XP Correct?) I don't know whats wrong, but my display is all [bleep] and I hate it. All helpp WILL be appreciated. Thank you!

EDIT by an Administrator: I removed the "signature" you used in this post, as I have just changed your username. The one you had is not acceptable, and you cannot use it in signatures, either.

Please also respect the curse word filters we have in place. This is a family friendly G rated forum. Cursing is not allowed here.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Edited by Kat, 10 May 2006 - 08:12 PM.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hello mmbundock and welcome to G2G!

Uninstall your existing drivers and then try installing the latest driver.

Are there any devices in device manager with a yellow exclaimation mark or a red cross?

mmbundock

mmbundock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello ZEUS,
I tried that, and it still says that it hasn't been tested. I have no idea what to do now.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
does the driver say it's not compatable or that it hasn't passed windows logo testing?

mmbundock

mmbundock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yeah, thats it.

http://i3.photobucke...345/asdfghj.jpg

^^^ screenshot.

EDIT:meh kinda small

Edited by mmbundock, 11 May 2006 - 12:58 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
have you tried choosing continue anyway?

mmbundock

mmbundock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yeah, many times. The display comes up absolutly horrible.

This is what happens when I try to load up any game.

http://i3.photobucke...ameproblems.jpg

Edited by mmbundock, 11 May 2006 - 01:23 PM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
From the incredibly small screenshots I think it says that's it's detected different versions of the driver. Hmmmm.....

Try using Driver Cleaner, this will remove all Nvidia graphics card drivers then install the latest again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
for anyone who can't zoom in on the image it says

NVidia display dirver files from different (incompatable) versions of the driver have been detected.

NVidia OpenGl acceleration is disabled in order to maintain system stability

to resolve this problem update the NVidia display dirver
the latest driver is available at www.nvidia.com

so yeah...uninstall the card...use drivercleaner to remove anything that says NVIDIA then install the latest driver

mmbundock

mmbundock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
K well I did the drivercleaner and everything and I believe the driver is installed. The only problem is that I can't reach the menu where you can change the color exc. (like color correction/gamma/brightness). And the error still comes up when I start a game. I need to turn Vsync off and stuff like that.

although,that won't fix the error.

Edited by mmbundock, 11 May 2006 - 03:15 PM.