Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WnXP Welcome Screen Problem

• Please log in to reply

nikorasu

nikorasu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I just built a computer, running nicely now, installed WinXP home edition... Now, I have never seen the welcome screen since I got this comp running. I can't figure out why. Whenever it starts up, it shows a window where you have to type in username/password. I made sure that the 'Use welcome screen' box was checked in control panel. Any ideas?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi nikorasu...

Is "Use Fast User Switching" also checked?

wannabe1

nikorasu

nikorasu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I tried it both checked and unchecked, neither fixed the problem. If it was checked, all it did was get rid of the "Switch user" option.

I saw somewhere that this problem could be caused by some kind of network setting (having the computer set as a domain?) but it was explained much, so I have no idea about that or if it could possibly be related.. Do you know if network settings have anything to do with it?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Unless you have added your machine to a domain, I coubt that is the problem.

Click Start, then Run, type control userpasswords2 in the run box, and click "Ok".

Is the box next to "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" selected? If it is, remove the tick, "Apply" the change, and reboot.

Let me know what you find...

nikorasu

nikorasu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
When I restart now, it says 'Adminstrator' in the username box and a dialog pops up saying that I couldn't be logged in because it was locked (something along those lines)

When I did the control userpasswords2, I see an 'Administrator' account, along with Guest and my own. Is this normal?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you still able to login if you type in your user account name in the username box? If so, please right click the following LINK and click SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS, and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember where it is located. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\welcomescreen.reg to the registry? Then reboot your computer and see if the Welcome Screen is back.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 10 May 2006 - 10:04 PM.

nikorasu

nikorasu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey, I tried adding that to my reg, and rebooted, and it still did the same thing. I hate to give you all so much trouble about this. I only wanted to change the welcome screen appearance.. my first comp, wanted to mess with everything, heheh. So, it's obviously going to be difficult.

Thanks for all the help though.. I'll probably try to figure it out cus I'm not even paying you guys for the time, heh.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
We are not here to get paid. We are here because we like helping people. You can definitely try to figure this out on your own, but we will still try to help you as long as you want us to help you try things to solve your current problem.

Now for your problem.... I'm figuring you only have one user created account (not including the Administrator account) on your machine. Is this user account password protected?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
From what I have read, it looks like the Gina.dll file might be corrupted...

Download XP_FixLogon.ZIP (credit dougknox.com) and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file. Extract XP_FixLogon.exe from the zip file and double click it. The program will tell you if repairs are needed or not.

This utility checks for the correct GINA value in the Registry and will allow you to restore it, if its incorrect.

Fenor

nikorasu

nikorasu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
When I installed XP, I only created an account for myself. After you asking about this, I tried creating another account and tried logging on. I only had the window to type in the username, so I tried, but it says only my account/administrators can unlock this computer. Did I set something to this? o.O

I also tried the Gina file, and it said it was 'default', so I don't think there's any problem with it.

And I appreciate the help. I'd like help, I just don't want to take up too much of your time. But you guys know a lot more and I don't doubt that you could figure this problem out eventually.

Thanks again :whistling:

So anymore suggestions? o.O

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In addition, you could use the control userpasswords2 command in the Run box and re-tick the box I had you un-tick...that will at least put you back where you were.

Hey Fenor, oh Terrible Twin of mine...any chance this machine might be on a domain?

nikorasu

nikorasu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, I did that. In the login prompt, it says only my account or administrators can unlock the computer... Are there any options that you know of that make it run this way?

Maybe it is that domain thing, but I have no idea what it means for a computer to be set as a domain

Edit:
I think I am on a domain. I was googling tons of times, and I see things like this:
"Only domain \ username or an administrator can unlock this computer."

That's pretty much what I'm facing.. It says only NTBComputer/Nick or an administrator blablabla...
NTBComputer is my computer name. Would my computer name become the domain in that case (if it was set up as a 'domain')?

I hardly know what I'm talking about, really, but the other computer on the network has the welcome screen and all.

I've added and removed pc's from my network many times, and I've never run into this sort of thing before..

Edited by nikorasu, 10 May 2006 - 11:56 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
First things first...we need to get your user account working right again.

Log on as "Administrator" (if you are prompted for a password, leave the field blank and press "Enter"). Open Control Panel and double click on the "User Accounts" icon. Click on "Change an account" and select your user account. Click on "Change my account type", make sure you have an administrator account, and click the "Change User Account Type" button.

nikorasu

nikorasu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Getting a little bit nervous here.. I tried logging on admistrator, and got this
"Unable to log you in because of an account restriction."

I made a password just to see if that would help, but that didn't change it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is wierd...nothing we have changed should have caused this kind of behavior... :whistling:

Boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key during bootup and choose "Safe Mode" from the options listed. Log into the Administrator account and try changing your account type from there. If you are still unable to change the account type, see if you can run a System Restore to earlier today or even yesterday.