Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WnXP Welcome Screen Problem

• Please log in to reply

nikorasu

nikorasu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, I ran a system restore to a couple days back. It still did the same thing, but at least any changes that I've made are undone.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
So you are able to log into your user account again as before?

I'm going to want to research this one a bit before we start changing anything again. I've not had one behave like that using the settings we used. Even the scripts Fenor had you run were minor registry tweaks that should not have had that effect on the machine.

nikorasu

nikorasu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok. I'll keep an eye on this topic and refresh from time to time. If you ever decide to do that weird thing that people do at night (sleep), then go ahead. It's almost 3am where I am, but this is my time of night, so I'll be up for another hour or 2. I know you've been at this for 4 or more hours, heheh :whistling:

I'll try to research as well, but I've been doing that all along and haven't found any answers.

edit: Oh, and the log on is still in a window - not the welcome screen. Almost didn't answer your question, heh

Edited by nikorasu, 11 May 2006 - 12:51 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you install .net framework without the service pack?

nikorasu

nikorasu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
eh.. I'm not exactly sure what that is. I installed xp from a cd that includes SP2.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check with Microsoft Update, if it offers a service pack for .net framework as a critical, install it then return for a hotfix

If it offers it as an optional, it isn't essential, unless you use an ATI graphics card

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

nikorasu

nikorasu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I wound up reformatting to fix the problem, and that did it. I read that if you set up 1 account while setting XP up, it'll create the situation I was in. And, unfortunately, everything that I tried checking and changing (ginathingy.dll, digging through the registry, checking network options, and so on...).

Anyways, it's all good now. I really appreciate all the help. And thanks, wannabe1, for being on this for at least 5 hours.

Much appreciation
-Nick :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's great news! Glad you got it sorted out...always glad to lend a hand where I can. :whistling:

wannabe1